I appear to have two issues to report / ask f...

I appear to have two issues to report / ask for guidance on:

1. I have been experimenting, in a test app, with User Settings. All worked fine, so I uninstalled the test app from my Android device. Having implemented user settings into the new live app, I was surprised to see that the new app picked up the User Settings from the test app (e.g. I prompted for a user setting field of Name in the test app and the Name field was already completed when I opened settings for the first time in the new live app.) Not sure if this is a memory clear down issue on Android, or AppSheet keeping User Settings in a file that is beyond the reach of the Android app Uninstall process? I havenโ€™t checked this on an Apple device.

2. I have distributed my new live app (originally created from a copy of the old live app) to a test user, via the share function on AppSheet publisher. When they installed the new live app, we were surprised to see the old live app was automatically opened, rather than the new live app. We had to go to App Gallery to find the new live app. Is it possible for the load process to open the app that has just been downloaded/installed? This same thing happened on Apple and Android.

0 5 397
5 REPLIES 5

Harry2
Participant V

@Andy_Langman Hi Andy, regarding the first problem, could you give us the names of the test apps and the live apps? Also, in the live app, did the app pick up the user settings only in your device, or did it also pick up the user settings in the app editor?

Regarding the second problem, what was the installation link that your user used to install the app? Also, what are the names of both the new and old apps?

@Harry Hi Dinh, on the first problem, I donโ€™t have the test app anymore, I tested Usersettings some time ago and then deleted that test app. The new live app that picked up UserSettings(Name) as set by the test app is called โ€œFit Leagueโ€, which was originally created as a copy of the old live app, called โ€œPlayer Appโ€ โ€ฆ are these the names you need? I didnโ€™t test this on any other device, as I had only used the test app on my device.

The app link as sent out by sharing via the app editor is very long, but here goes! โ€ฆ appsheet.com - Build Powerful Mobile Apps from Spreadsheets

The names of the old and new apps are in the answer to your first question, above.

Hope this helps. Build Powerful Mobile Apps from Spreadsheets appsheet.com

Harry2
Participant V

@Andy_Langman Hi Andy, I was unable to reproduce the problem on a test app. Do your apps (the original and the copied) have exactly the same user settings columns (same column names, same column structure etc.)? Also, when you uninstalled the original app, did you simply delete the app shortcut, or did you actually uninstall the AppSheet app?

Could you try clearing all app data and cache of the AppSheet app on your device to see if this would resolve the problem?

Adding @Adam_Stone_AppSheet

@Harry Hi Dinh, in latest Android, I donโ€™t see a clear cache button in App Info, just Uninstall and Force Stop.

So, to simplify the test and prove the issue, I uninstalled Appsheet completely from my device and restarted the device. At this point I would have expected all traces of AppSheet, my app and itโ€™s user settings to have been cleared.

Now, when I reinstall the app, first (as expected) it prompts to install AppSheet. When prompted to open AppSheet after install, it takes me to my app and the app has all user settings pre-set as they were before I removed the app and uninstalled AppSheet from the device. Definitely not as expected!

This has highlighted another issue (sorry!), when I use the shared link to install the app without having AppSheet pre-installed on my device, the install process creates an AppSheet icon, but not my appโ€™s icon (I searched everywhere for it). To get my appโ€™s icon created, I had to go back to the install link and this time it asked if I want an icon created. Previously, if required, the AppSheet + App install process handled all of this in a two-step process that prompted the user to install AppSheet then the App.

Top Labels in this Space