I cannot figure out how to display a .pdf in my app using the 'file' column type

I am trying to show .pdf files in my app, rather than forcing users outside of the app to view documents. However, I can only access the files using a ‘link’ column type and a Dropbox URL, which gives a prompt to download the Dropbox app.

I would really love to just display the file right in the app. Is there a way to do this?

Solved Solved
1 13 5,711
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tommy_callahan,

Do you wish to show the pdf files in the way they have been included in the following sample app?
Please explore the app at
https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-for-a-marketing-team-to-access-customer-case-studies-on-and-...

The approach to store the files ( or images) is described in the following article under the section “File Name Value”

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @tommy_callahan,

Do you wish to show the pdf files in the way they have been included in the following sample app?
Please explore the app at
https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-for-a-marketing-team-to-access-customer-case-studies-on-and-...

The approach to store the files ( or images) is described in the following article under the section “File Name Value”

Suvrutt

Thank you for this response. I had seen this article in my attempts to get this to work, but for some reason it clicked just now.

Thank you again!

Does this only work in a Detail view? I want our clients to view a form and be able to click on the pdf file and have it display

This is not possible in a form view to my knowledge. Actions do not appear in form views.

can you think of a way I can have a field that is a deep link to the pdf that is in another column?

Use a column of type Show with a category of Url.

Hi Steve,
How would you make this work when the attachments are child records?

I don’t see how the attachments being in child records affect the solution. What is you specific concern?

Sorry, just back to this. We have figured it out. What I was trying to do was have the icon to view the attachment in the child record inline view - what we decided to do was have the user select the attachment to view and then use the Link to File on that view. Screenshots below:

3X_f_b_fbc6cb0c4c8db21ef3fa67f638288ff4f18247cc.png

3X_c_a_ca9a9228f9d6dcc5a4975830cde602f0556956cf.png

That worked, thank you!

Hyperlink on regular text style? I Take you to Google if you click me
You could make the open a file action be attached inline to a different field.

in a form?

Hello ,

Is there a way to display pdf seamlessly in the detail page along with other fields without having to click to open the pdf . 

Top Labels in this Space