I have a general question about the best way ...

I have a general question about the best way to cater for branching logic. Here is a simple hypothetical example that seeks to make a conclusion whether someone is a resident for immigration purposes. Some of the questions (white rectangles) can be answered by a user in a Google Form feeding a Google Sheet and in turn AppSheet. Other questions are answered by a calculation (hexagon) based on the answers previously supplied by the user.

I thought I could use a virtual column in AppSheet including the calculation to come to the conclusion whether visa days is less than 100 days or otherwise. The relevant Residency conclusion is then compiled into a Report emailed to the user. Is there a better way to deal with branching decision structures leading to different report conclusions? Especially when there is a complex branching structure.

0 1 283
1 REPLY 1

The simple way to do this in an AppSheet app is to define all of the white rectangles as โ€œquestionโ€ columns and the grey rectangles as columns with AppFormulas. Then you add Show_If conditions for the question appropriately.

For example,

*) the formula for the โ€˜Law does not applyโ€™ column would be [Age in years] < 21

*) for the next question column, the Show_If condition would be NOT([Law does not apply]) etcโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space