I have a large Google spreadsheet (30 columns...

I have a large Google spreadsheet (30 columns x 5000 rows) which is a price list that Appsheet sees as a Read Only table.

Appsheet really only needs about half the columns.

So it’s inelegant, and inefficient for it to read the columns it will never use.

Yet I don’t want to delete the columns in case I do need them later.

Is it possible to do something similar to a security filter but with columns rather than rows?

I thought about using a slice.

But my understanding is that a slice only limits the data the user can see.

It still downloads the entire table.

Any advice appreciated

0 5 439
5 REPLIES 5

@Simon_Robinson not that I’m aware of.

I accomplished something similar using an importdata or query in g-sheets, only pulling in the columns that I needed.

I had a large table that I had gotten from a client, but in reality I only needed a couple of the columns, so I used IMPORTDATA() to pull in the columns that I needed - then continued constructing my table like normal.

Problem here is that the imported data is read-only, if someone actually puts a value in any of those cells it causes the importdata to fail.

But my marking them read-only in appsheet, no problems and I was able to really reduce the bloat of the app.

Been running smooth ever since.

@MultiTech_Visions Thanks Matt.

They update the table every year or so.

So if there’s no way to do it in Appsheet I might just mod the sheet then.

Jonas

you can create a new sheet that queries the “big-one” and only shows the wanted data.

This obviously only makes sense if you are fine not being able to edit your data through AppSheet (read-only)

Since the data is updated once a year, you could even physically copy the required columns to a sheet in the spreadsheet that AppSheet is connected to, and let the remaining columns stay in the original spreadsheet, as you mentioned yourself in case you need them later. It could be even automated with a Google Apps Script. This way there is not even a query to be run more frequently than it is needed to.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Much appreciated.

Top Labels in this Space