I have a question about a REF error (Triangul...

Greg_Huston
Participant III

I have a question about a REF error (Triangular Yellow icon with exclamation). I have a couple data sources.

1. RFQ Table 3. Company Table 2. Purchasers Table

There are 2 companies in the company table. When you create a purchaser (purchaser table), they have a Purchaser_ID (Unique_ID) and you assign them to the company, by selecting the company from a dropdown REF. This works great.

The problem Iโ€™m running into is this. In the RFQ table, you need to assign a company and a purchaser to each RFQ. Under RFQโ€™s, Iโ€™ve got a column Company_ID as a REF to the company table. This works great - it pulls my labels and puts them into the dropdown, and saves the Company_ID into this column. However, when I go to choose the purchaser, I have the following codeโ€ฆ

=SELECT(Company_Purchasers[Purchaser_Email], [Company_ID] = [_THISROW].[Company_Name])

This lets you select a purchasers email, from a list where the Company ID of those purchasers matches the company ID already selected. This behaviour is EXACTLY what I want. It works great. However, when I click save, I get the orange exclamation mark beside the saved data. Viewing the underlying table, it seems perfectly clear.

Itโ€™s saving the purchasers EMAIL to that column, which is labeled a REF. Itโ€™s expecting it to be unique IDโ€™s but instead its getting an email.

How do I get this to work? The behaviour is exactly what I want, but I believe saving the email to that REF column rather than the Purchaser ID is what is causing appsheet to freak out. Iโ€™ve reviewed the dependant dropdowns docs, but this doesnโ€™t seem to apply, as Iโ€™m pulling the second part of the dropdown from a different table, not just another column from the same table.

0 3 634
3 REPLIES 3

You probably

need to read the Purchaser ID, not the Email because itโ€™s not the key column. =SELECT(Company_Purchasers[Purchaser ID], [Company_ID] = [_THISROW].[Company_Name])

Greg_Huston
Participant III

Hi,

The only problem with that, is now the dropdown menu shows the Purchaser ID - which is generated by UNIQUEID() - as the selection option. Thatโ€™s great if you memorize each Purchaser_ID - but I want them to be able to choose from something understandable as well!

I want the dropdown to show the labels, and the saved data to be the ID. Is this possible?

Yes itโ€™s possible if you set the correct column as a label.

Top Labels in this Space