I have a question about if and how it may be ...

I have a question about if and how it may be possible to generate TWO records to be written from ONE data entry transaction.

I want to create a table that shows the relationships between two people.

I already have a table set up that has a row for each person with their name, DOB, phone number etc.

The process to enter relationships between people will be as follows;

The user will be presented with a screen and will pick a personโ€™s name om a dropdown (Linked to the person table)(say MARY).

The user will then advance to the next field and choose relationship (eg WIFE) and then advance to the next field and choose a second personโ€™s name (eg JOHN) and then advanc to the next field and pick a relationship HUSBAND.

When the user presses SAVE for that entry, I want two rows

to be written and contain the following fields

id, id MARY, WIFE, id JOHN id, idJOHN, HUSBAND, id MARY

Having such a table I can choose any personโ€™s name and get a list of all their relationships

CAn anyone help suggest a way I can do this without having to require the user to enter two separate screen entries?

0 10 333
10 REPLIES 10

@alan_singer this can only be achieved with Google Apps Scripting right at the moment. But I believe AppSheet techs are working on a add new row action but not sure when it comes into the scene

@alan_singer itโ€™s there but not sure if itโ€™s working as expected or if itโ€™s still under construction

Thanks @Levent_KULACOGLU

i will give it a try!!

@alan_singer I have checked that itโ€™s not ready for using yet

@Levent_KULACOGLU Thanks again for your answers and help - much appreciated!

I was wanting to know more about Google Apps scripting - The data I am using in this app is in a MYSQL database - is Google App scripting still relevant or is it possible that a stored procedure could be used to achieve my objective?

@alan_singer for sure you can connect to any external source with Google Apps Script other than Google Spreadsheet.

@Levent_KULACOGLU Ok - So does that mean, there is no way in app sheet to generate more than a single row insert, update or delete per โ€œSubmitโ€?

@alan_singer right at the moment we donโ€™t have that feature. But as I have posted earlier, there is โ€œsomethingโ€ which may be similar to your query in AppSheetโ€™s development pipeline. Hoewever, I cannot mention about any timeline for that. Therefore, itโ€™s only achievable thru Google Apps Scripting right at the moment

@Levent_KULACOGLU I think that feature will be a real game changer for app sheet

@alan_singer I have realized in my earlier reply that I have unintentionally written that you CANNOT connect to an external source with Google Apps Script other than Google Spreadsheet. Thatโ€™s not correct. You CAN connect to any external resource with Google Apps Script including the HTTP based resources serving publicized RESTful API. FYI.

Top Labels in this Space