I have a serious problem with our data captur...

I have a serious problem with our data capture app with pictures taken.

Sometimes when my technician upload data with AppSheet, I get this in my Google Sheet: “Unable to load image data. Image may be missing or upload size may be too large for this device.”

I tried to find solutions but I haven’t.

It happenend with Android and iOS.

And it happens on different devices. Sometimes the technicians can upload 20 pictures a day but 1 has this strange entry in the Google Sheet.

Anybody know a solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

0 9 802
9 REPLIES 9

Is this problem known? It’s quite serious for our business.

Hi Adrian, could you send us email to support@appsheet.com with the app details. We will investigate.

Here’s how this works:

a) when the user takes a photo, it is saved into the camera roll on the device

b) a handle (a short reference id) is recorded in the row in AppSheet

c) at some point afterward (a few seconds later or may be much later depending on whether the app is running offline), this changed row is synced with the backend

d) at that point, the app asks for the photo from the camera roll giving it the handle/id.

e) normally the photo should be found and everything proceeds. But once in a while, the photo is not found and this is the resulting error message

So why would the photo not be found — basically, it isn’t in the camera roll. Perhaps the camera roll is full? Perhaps it was explicitly deleted by the user? Tough to tell, but this is usually not in our control. Do you think it is possible the user deleted the photo from the camera roll by mistake?

We could instead store all the photos internally in our own device storage location, but that makes the photos less accessible, so we choose to put it in the camera roll.

Would you be able to make the storage location of the photos optional? I’ve got quite a few users of an app that use their own personal phones, and they don’t want to have all the work images sitting in their photo album.

Hi @Alan_Thorp,
We’ve added an option in the app’s setting to prevent the app from saving images to the camera roll for iOS (Device’s settings -> AppSheet).
This change is coming in version 12.7. You should be able to get this update now if you go to the play store, or with automatic updates within a week.

On Android, the images are saved under an AppSheet folder, so it’s already separated from the rest of the user’s photos.

@Gil to Just complete the understanding of this discussion. If the setting is set such that the Camera Roll is used:

1. Will it work in the way it always has?
  2. How long does the image need to remain in the Camera Roll before the user can safely delete it from there - assuming they maintain good connectivity?

@WillowMobileSystems,
The new setting, “Save photos to camera roll” is turned on by default, and maintain the same behavior we always had: the photo appears in the camera roll and can be safely deleted after the app was synced.
When turning the setting off, the images will not appear in the camera roll (but can still be found in Albums -> Hidden).

Hi @Adrian_Enz have you found a solution? I now have the same problem.
In my Google Sheet it only says: “Unable to load image data. Image may be missing or upload size may be too large for this device.”

No, still happens sometimes. Still not able to determine what the problem is.

Has a solution been found for this yet? I'm having the same issue now but only on 2 users (out of 100+). 

Top Labels in this Space