I have built an app for my investment portfol...

I have built an app for my investment portfolio. I just found that the data in Google Sheets are not synced to my app after pressing the sync button.

The data wonโ€™t be updated unless I add a new row or delete an existing row by the app.

Anyone can help?

0 15 1,289
15 REPLIES 15

Have you updated the data directly from the gSheet or are you updating it without the app? Do you have the Offline/Sync option โ€œDelta syncโ€ or โ€œServer cachingโ€ as ON?

@Aleksi_Alkio It is actually the stock price by google finance function. The price is updated on gSheet but not reflected in app.

I am just using the prototype version for personal use. I think both options of Offline/Sync are for PRO plan only, right?

One option is if you read the data with scripting for example every hour and then update the sheet with that data. Then you values are โ€œrealโ€ and the app can read them.

@Aleksi_Alkio Okay, let me think of this. Thank you.

Youโ€™re welcome

Are they both OFF?

@Aleksi_Alkio

Yes, both are OFF.

For the Offline/Sync settings, I only have โ€œSync on startโ€, โ€œDelayed syncโ€ and โ€œAutomatic updatesโ€ are ON

Try to change the table as โ€œRead_Onlyโ€.

@Aleksi_Alkio I have two tabs in gSheet; one for google finance data and another one using query function to select google finance data to compile a watchlist.

In AppSheet, I created two tables for these. The google finance data one is editable while the watchlist is already read-only. Do you mean I have to change both tables to read-only?

Yes, please test this. I have a feeling what the reason could be but please test first.

@Aleksi_Alkio I just tried. The problem still exists.

Okayโ€ฆ the problem is this. When you are using finance data, itโ€™s updating your sheet but itโ€™s not actually doing that in the backend. Itโ€™s just rendering the display, not the backend where the app reads it throught the API. Itโ€™s the same if you set the option โ€œRecalcuationโ€ to โ€œOn change and every minuteโ€ and you use an expression =NOW(). It renders the sheet, but not the backend.

@Aleksi_Alkio Then, any solution for this problem?

Congrats on building your own investment portfolio app, that's awesome!

I see that you've built an investment portfolio app, which is impressive! Regarding the syncing issue with Google Sheets, the problem might have been resolved by now, as the thread is quite old.

Top Labels in this Space