I have email Workflow Action that triggers on...

I have email Workflow Action that triggers on Adds_and_Updates.

A pdf is emailed and archived. This has been working fine for 1000+ record updates. But now I have one record that, after updating, does not trigger the Workflow action. The TimeStamp field in the record is updated; I see an “Edit Row” operation in the log; but no pdf is emailed or archived. Any insight as to why this might occur ?

0 13 478
13 REPLIES 13

Nevermind for now: I see an error in the Audit Log: “Error: ‘.’, hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character.”

I’ll

be more careful building my attachment names…

How do I know what field has the invalid character? (I doubt it’s related to my attachment name.) The error is

“Errors”: “Error: ‘.’, hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 56976. Error: ‘.’, hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 33656.”

@Harry

These are the AscII decimal characters in the string. Notice the “151” and “0” between the 2nd and 3rd space character (ascii 32). 83 111 117 116 104 32 115 105 100 101 46 32 10 51 32 151 0 32 49 48 48 48 32 103 97 108 108 111 110 32 116 97 110 107 115 32 105 110 32 115 101 114 105 101 115

Harry2

@Morris_Arthur Hi Moris, I see that the text comes from data in your spreadsheet. Could you try modifying this text to eliminate the illegal characters and then try triggering the workflow again?

Yes. As I specified earlier, I was able to circumvent the error by changing the user’s text.

But I don’t know how the data got into the AppSheet data field…

Harry2

@Morris_Arthur Hi Morris, this error can occur if there are characters in the generated PDF or email that cannot be processed by our server. Since the workflow template has been working before, most likely the illegal character might have come from the row’s data. However, to investigate further, we will need more information. Could you give us your account ID, the names of the relevant app and workflow, as well as the approximate time when this error occurred?

@Harry Thanks, I’ll try to get that stuff to you on Monday 7/23.

@Harry Sorry: I went ahead and changed the data to continue the

user’s workflow. The offending text had what looked like a long dash in the text… and translated to 151 and 0 in Ascii decimal. That’s what Appsheet Change Workflow Rule apparently choked on. It must have been pasted in from somewhere else, like Word (?)

I’ll try to re-create in a different record.

@Morris_Arthur @Harry

Hmm,

Appsheet did not let me paste the offending text that I had copied from the source table…However, the Failure is in the log for App “eROSS”,

id “555920”

7/23/2018 4:48:09 PM

Harry2

@Morris_Arthur Hi Morris, I was unable to reproduce the error using the error log. Could you share with me the problematic text directly? You can simply post it here as a comment.

@HarryMost editors (including Appsheet and Google+) won’t let me paste the full text. Here’s a screenshot from Excel:

@Harry This is what you’ll get when I copy paste the whole cell here: South side.

3 —

Top Labels in this Space