I need to have the user switch between data s...

I need to have the user switch between data sources. How can I do this? There may be many sheets to select from and if we put all the data in one sheet, it will get enormous. We are using Smartsheet.

0 6 529
6 REPLIES 6

Harry2

@Paul_Brinckmann Hi Paul, you can add multiple sheets from multiple data sources into the same app. If you want to add more data sources other than Smartsheet, please check out this article:

help.appsheet.com - Multiple Data Sources Multiple Data Sources help.appsheet.com

I think you are looking to use many different smartsheets, right? And Smartsheet has a limit of 5000 rows per sheet. Take a look at the Data Partitioning feature โ€” that is probably what you need.

help.appsheet.com - Scaling Using Data Partitions Scaling Using Data Partitions help.appsheet.com

Thatโ€™s not exactly what I need but you have the idea. I am looking to do receiving equipment on jobs and tracking where the equipment is per job. New jobs come in weekly if not daily so there would be a new spreadsheet made for each job that comes in. I need the flexibility to change spreadsheets as equipment comes in and want to be able to use just one app for this.

Harry2

@Paul_Brinckmann Hereโ€™s how I understand what you are trying to implement: you want to keep the same table and column structure in AppSheet, but you want to be able to change the tableโ€™s underlying spreadsheet in Smartsheet.

If this is correct, then the only way to do this is to change the tableโ€™s path in the app editor. Iโ€™m afraid it is currently not possible to change the underlying spreadsheets of tables directly through the app.

Paul, I still think partitioning is the only mechanism we have for this. It lets you use an expression to choose an appropriate spreadsheet for each job. So then if the user selects a specific job (via UserSettings), the partition expression will choose the corresponding spreadsheet.

As @Harry says, you will need to modify the app to add the new sheet for each job to the partition expression. However, your app users will not need to install a separate app for each job.

Thank you both for your comments. I think my only option may be figuring out a way to use the partition expression for my needs. It may not be exactly what I was hoping for, but it may work.

Top Labels in this Space