I reached the limit! The maximum allowed row count of 100000

Hi,

Sorry if I am wrong but according to this article "Limit On Data Size" excel’s is limited to 1.048.576 rows. I have passes 100k and it says the app is unreachable.

Thanks.

From the referenced page, may I ask from which paragraph or line or wording have you got the idea that Excel has a row limit of 1,048,576? Provided you are referring to this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/tr-tr/office/excel-belirtim-ve-sınırlamaları-1672b34d-7043-467e-8e27-269d656771c3?redirectSourcePath=%2fen-us%2farticle%2fExcel-specifications-and-limits-ca36e2dc-1f09-4620-b726-67c00b05040f&ui=tr-TR&rs=tr-TR&ad=TR
The limit specified there is the maximum row and column limit. However that limit can decrease as per:

• User of external spreadsheet formulas
  • Complex formulas
  • HTML, XML import formulas
  • MS Finance formulas

What specified in AppSheet is the file size limit if you read carefully. And even-if your have 100K rows, depending on the data amount and content of your spreadsheet, you might have hit the file size quota.

3 Likes

Limits on the Spreadsheet

Each spreadsheet provider has their own limitations based on performance, file size, number of formulas and calculations.

@Atlas
I’m already aware that each spreadsheet provider has their own limitations, however the question or query is not that you are experiencing. Please read my reply carefully.

1 Like

@Atlas
Excel’s spreadsheet limit is: 1.048.576 rows by 16.384 columns. This makes simply 17.179.869.184 cells. If you type only an “a” letter to each cell, where each character typed considered as 1 byte, your spreadsheet file size will be around 17.2 Gb excluding the heap size bytes, header bytes etc. Each spreadsheet formula has its own weight for calculation. For example:
=A4+B4
formula will be calculated as
(Total Number of Characters Used) * (Formula Weight Factor)

2 Likes

@LeventK Thank you for your time and for a great explanation. It seems I should move to a SQL database.

@Atlas
Definitely :hugs: You need to subscribe to AppSheet Business Plan to be able to connect a Cloud SQL instance as a data source.

2 Likes

Hi @LeventK

I have an issue related to this post. I did read your answer and other article about data size but I probably miss something.

I try to set an app with article and composed products. I have a table in it exceeding 100k rows, which appears to be problematic :

The overall data size (in xslx) of the app :

I do see any way to reduce the number of rows in this table. It is a join table (many to many).

Would this issue be solved by SQL data source ?

Thanks

Hello,

What you can do, is first try and test the Scale Capabilty of the data tables Panel.

Two Options :

• Data partinioned in mutiple Files [ need to be the same exact column struture ]
  • Data partinioned in mutiple Sheet inside the same " container File" [ need to be the same exact column struture ]

Both option plus SQL option need a Bussinnes Plan.

But SQL will have other additional cost to run.

I’m French, don’t hesitate to reach me by private mail

3 Likes

@CHRISTOPHE_CHANDELIE
Not aware of gSheet’s max row limit but I’m aware that gSheet’s max cell limit is 5M over the whole spreadsheet.

1 Like

@LeventK The fact is that I do not have issue with Gsheet. The sheet opens properly. The exceeded limit of rows actually comes from Appsheet, like it can not manage table with more than 100 000 rows.

1 Like

Aaa, OK. Then unfortunately I don’t have that kinda deep info about the AppSheet limits. May be a tech guy can tell us.
@Aleksi
@Steve
who can help us for this from the dev team? Can you forward pls? Thnx.

1 Like

Asked internally.

From a senior developer: Yes, a database is often a good answer when tables are that large.

2 Likes

What if your GoogleSheet is just about 100,020 rows?
Will it be practical to use a database just becaus eof that extra 20 rows?

Please check out my feature request and support if it makes sense to you.