I want to make a slicer form where the user d...

I want to make a slicer form where the user determines what data will show.

I.E. A mechanic is in the field and wants to see all the repairs that have been inputted for a specific piece of machinery based on the itโ€™s equipment ID. When he types in the ID all reports involving that ID should appear. Now if this same mechanic wanted to only show the repairs that were done on the engine he would able to filter it more by saying the Engine repair field = Yes and all the other repairs for that Equipment ID that didnโ€™t involve the Engine would also disappear.

How can I do this?

Basically trying to make a dynamic slicer form.

0 11 481
11 REPLIES 11

Michael2
Participant V

Unfortunately, dynamic filtering is not available. Yet. Itโ€™s supposed to be planned at sometime, I believe but no idea when this may happen. There are some complex workarounds involving User Settings but these are not really dynamic and require the user to sync the app to take effect.

You have few ways to do that without sync. One would be the search engine (magnifying glass on the upper right corner).

Another way is to create an interactive dashboard where you would have one basic table view and on the right side two separate slice table views. These two slices would show you all related table views from reports and repairs. When you choose (with the search engine) the ID, it would show you related records.

You could also create an action button with the LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW which will forward you to correct view without a slice.

@Aleksi_Alkio & @Michael I think that what Michael has described is exactly what Iโ€™m looking for. The specific app that I have built is for our maintenance workers who are servicing over 200 pieces of equipment. As it stands now they can make repairs under:

Engine -Transmission -Hydraulics -Electronics -Body work -Safety

And these repairs can be either:

Preventative Maintenance

• Reactive Maintenance

Or can be:

-Job site ordered (billed to client) -Yard ordered (billed to us)

And all of these different categories are set up as โ€œYes/Noโ€ questions in the app, with โ€œShowIFโ€ comments. As you can see, each repair can be extremely simple, โ€œEngine, Yes, Oil change, Preventative, Yardโ€ or SUPER extensive and encompass multiple options (theoretically speaking they could click โ€œYesโ€ to each of those repair types for one repair entry)

What I would like is for my guys to pull up to a piece of machinery, know that theyโ€™re about to make an engine repair, type into the app the Equipment ID (which is known by the mechanic) and then click โ€œEngine Repairs only viewโ€ and every repair entry involving that ID number and an engine repair shows while everything else involving that Equipment ID disappears.

This may not be possible though if Iโ€™m to believe @Michael

You can find more from hereโ€ฆ help.appsheet.com - Column Type: App (Deep Links) Column Type: App (Deep Links) help.appsheet.com

Michael2
Participant V

@Aleksi_Alkio While these are very good options which I did not think of, neither are truly dynamic, are they? Neither allow the user the ability to filter on exactly what the user chooses, all the filtering capabilities would have to be predetermined and setup by the developer.

Hey @Aleksi_Alkio, could you possibly explain that a bit better? Iโ€™m a rookie at AppSheet and Iโ€™m struggling to understand the steps you outlined

@Michael The search engine is totally in customerโ€™s hands. They can type the ID they want to see and it will filter the data. If you create suitable table views, it should work as you wish.

@Joshua_Giles may I ask what details you want to know?

Michael2
Participant V

@Aleksi_Alkio True enough but the user must know the ID to filter as you suggest. Using the ID would only filter one row as opposed to customizable filters that allow the user to filter on multiple criteria across several rows.

Are these criterias like a fixed or can they be whatever?

Michael2
Participant V

@Aleksi_Alkio Well, in order to be dynamic they would have to be whatever. While the user can search via the search bar and the app developer determines which fields are able to be searched, the search bar method will not allow for more complex searches. For instance, "Show me all the rows that contain โ€˜thisโ€™ but not those rows that also include โ€˜thatโ€™.

At the moment, the only way I know to do this is to setup pre-definded views. The problem with this approach is that there is no way to know exactly what criteria the user may need search on at a given time. Not to mention, the complexity of not only creating a multitude of โ€˜customโ€™ search views but managing these views. Oh, then theres the potential bloat of the app having to lug all these views aroundโ€ฆ

If AppSheet could somehow implement filters per columns or something similar, that would be ideal.

Top Labels in this Space