Identifying column that exceeds long at MySQL

Hi everyone.

We are working with AppSheet and a Cloud SQL DB (Mysql).

I’m having a problem with some data an user entered on the app. I shows next message:

Unable to add/edit/delete row in table ‘XXXXXXXX’ One or more SQL errors has been encountered
The insert/update operation attempted to write data that was too large for a column in your MySQL table

I remember that before, when this kind of error appeared, the column name that caused the issue was shown. However, now it doesn’t seems to be shown anymore.

I checked the length of the data entered against the column definition, but all seems fine. Also I reviewed the logs but I couldn’t find any clue of which column could be

Is there anyway to know this info?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Miguel Sánchez

1 5 339
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact support@appsheet.com for help with this.

Not sure if this is a cause of issue in your case. It could be possible that Appsheet LongText type data field does not match SQL table data type.
Try for all the longtext type fields to change to varchar( max ) on SQL record config.

This is really frustrating…
Why can’t AppSheet just name to column that is exceeded?

Agreed - I was frustrated by same.

I found my root cause by creating a new app. I selected just the one table that was causing the save issue and literally did nothing else to the app (truly “no code” solution). I saved one test record, and did not encounter the SQL error. I then altered the type on each field in AppSheet, one field at a time, refreshing the app between each change, and saving a new test record, until I could repro the error.

For my case, the issue was Dates. The date fields initially defaulted to Text. I could save using the AppSheet form only up until I changed the AppSheet type from Text to Date… then I saw this error.

In the database, the type for the Date fields was set to varchar(10). This was not an issue for AppMaker, but apparently is for AppSheet. (BTW, I’m converting from AppMaker to AppSheet, so my tables were already configured.)

I resolved it by setting the type to Date in the database, and now I can save without issue.

I hope that helps. I know it’s not an easy thing to debug.

I run into this problem ALL THE TIME!

I can’t believe they removed the column name in the error. Mind blowing that they would hide something so crucial.

Top Labels in this Space