If -and- Behavior in my App

Hey Everyone. With the App, Users aren’t able to upload images from their phone for look Restaurant Menus etc.
I have a Column in my sheet that asks for a Link to a photo of the Menu Item. However, users can’t upload an image directly to the App. Is there anyway to add an If then statement or expression? ie
If there is a link (url) in row B2(example) then show image in C4… Something like that. I wanted the Users to be able to enter the URL in the App and for the Photo to show up in the App.
Thanks for your replies

0 12 521
12 REPLIES 12

Have you turn-on the setting to Allow image input from gallery (UX>Option):

Yes I turned that on. But that only creates a non usable local link to the image and the image doesn’t show on the App…
Any workaround?

Your initial statement was users aren’t able to upload images from their phone, which is now change the setting, users is able to upload image from their phone.

With that, do you still want users to upload a link to a photo?

Here are my settings in AppSheet…

As you see in the screenshot, it says for the photo, Add a link to a photo of the Menu Item, but it only allows a User to upload from their phone. When they do that, they aren’t able to see where to access the URL for the image.
Users won’t have access to the Google Sheet to make changes to the URL, so I’m trying to see, where in the App can they edit that URL?

Hi @5starbiz, you don’t need to put the same response, twice.

If I understood correctly your needs, perhaps you need to change the column type [Add a link to a photo of the menu item.] to Enum type.

You need to make available what are the allowed Values which is in your case is those provided link. User will select based on a dropdown listing all provided link. And if you want user to be able to edit that URL, you need to select the Allow Other Values option to ON.

Excuse me for having different understanding, if that is not the case.

So, Yes, thats what I want to do. I changed it to Enum and that worked. My only other problem is this. The link for the image is there

But now, there is no image for the Menu Item

How do I get the image that I’m using in the URL to show for that particular Menu Item?
Thanks so much for your replies

Maybe by make the URL column also as label ?

Otherwise, I need to see snapshot of your column structure and might propose to change that URL column type to show type and as label.

I tried switching the Label On and got this error…
Table ‘Manage Menu’ had multiple non-image columns marked as ‘Label’, but only one non-image label is allowed. We removed the extra labels.

Here is my column structure

With your table structure, I don’t know how to explain better, but to be able to see the picture from an Enum type column with a base type Url, as below:

1. Add another column in your spreadsheet, let’s call this column as Thumbnail

2. Still in your google sheet, make a formula in your google sheet and make it equal to the Enum column. Make sure you copy down also to all previous data available in your data.

3. regenerate your table structure.

4. Make this new Thumbnail column as Thumbnail type. and make sure that there is a spreadsheet formula written in this new column.

ps: I do recommend you to adjust your table structure, and check for sample apps available.

Edit: I just made a test with the above steps, and you should see something like this:

and this is the gallery view, which one of them is based on your provided url:

Is there anyway to Add a Virtual column that would pull the image from the link and show as a non editable image for the Menu Item? I don’t know if I explained that correctly…
I just want to be able to have the url SHOW the image so that the User would see it when they input the URL…

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Perhaps these docs might help:

Hey Steve,

Here are my settings in AppSheet…

As you see in the screenshot, it says for the photo, Add a link to a photo of the Menu Item, but it only allows a User to upload from their phone. When they do that, they aren’t able to see where to access the URL for the image.
Users won’t have access to the Google Sheet to make changes to the URL, so I’m trying to see, where in the App can they edit that URL?

Top Labels in this Space