If I have a bunch of various actions, grouped...

If I have a bunch of various actions, grouped, and executing on rows, etc. If I do a data change, in multiple tables. And use NOW() will they all receive the same value?

0 4 375
4 REPLIES 4

In the app, NOW() is evaluated separately every time. However, it is only recorded at the granularity of seconds (no milliseconds). So if all your changes are in the same second, it will appear to be at the same time. However, you cannot depend on it.

I can see how it would help you to have some kind of โ€œtransaction timestampโ€ that is consistent across a set of related changes. We donโ€™t have that at the moment.

@praveen hrmmmโ€ฆ Iโ€™m still trying to figure out how to record the key of a record into some sort of temporary table, so that when I enter that record, my other table knows what record Iโ€™m viewingโ€ฆ

@Grant_Stead An idea: create a separate column in one of the tables that remains blank except when the record is active. Add some sort of marker in that column to indicate the row is active and have formulas from other tables look for the marker. Clear the marker when done. Only one user could ever be active on a row. Need a way to test for stale markers.

I think iโ€™m just going to shove a column in my record called โ€œLastViewedโ€ and slam a NOW() in it. Then do a maxrow on that table based on [lastviewed] to snag the key and jamb it into a temporary user tableโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space