I'm trying to use this app to generate a spre...

I’m trying to use this app to generate a spreadsheet for work.

I’m essentially trying to have a column for “Unit Number”, “Problem in the Unit”, “Sku Needed to Fix”.

The idea is that the user would be able to create a new row, fill in the applicable data, and save that row.

Once that’s done, they will be able to go into the spreadsheet and sort by unit number to use as a sort of punch list.

The issue I’m having is figuring out the key.

Is it just not possible to add a row and it just be the “next” row?

0 3 455
3 REPLIES 3

tony1
Participant V

@justin_roberts It’s best to have a column that uniquely identifies each row. By “next” row, do you mean use the row number as the key column? That’s generally not a good idea (see this doc https://help.appsheet.com/data/columns/what-is-a-key).

My recommendation: Create a column called Id, mark it hidden, set the initial value to UNIQUEID(). That way each new row gets its own unique key value and you don’t have to worry about it. What is a Key? help.appsheet.com

Furthermore, ideally you don’t really want the user to mess with your backend spreadsheet. Lots of ways they could mess up the app… So, really, why do they need to get into it? You can create all sorts of fancy reporting… Or create a script that emails them a file…

So it doesn’t really matter if the row is at the end of the data, or the top, you show it however you want… By unit, by date entered, etc… So you could have a view that shows you all of the units tasks… So you don’t need the user to mess with your sheet

Top Labels in this Space