I'm using the LOOKUP expression to find the v...

I’m using the LOOKUP expression to find the value of a column named Type and matching that text with a table of values to find the correct Rate for each Type. This was working great until I realized that the Type column needed to be an enumerated list. Lookup can’t compare list values with text values…

Is there a different expression I can use here?

This is what I had. Calculated Rate=LOOKUP([Type], “Enumeration”, “Work Item”, “Rate”)

0 3 1,516
3 REPLIES 3

If you need to have one “Rate” only, it will find only one (the first one) rate but with a different formula. Main question is what do you want to have with the lookup? Sum of those rates if more than one “Type” is selected? Something else?

It’s not clear what you now want to do.

I’d guess, now that [Type] is an EnumList, you want to see if the value of [Work Item] occurs within (rather than is equal to) [Type]? And if so, return the value of [Rate] for that one (and only one) row?

Thanks for the responses. I figured it out. But my initial description didn’t make it all that clear what I was looking for. So I’ll explain where I was at and how I solved it in case it helps anyone else.

The LOOKUP expression searches for a text value, it doesn’t support list values. To solve this I just needed to add a TEXT expression to convert the list value back to a text value.

Corrected expression: =LOOKUP(TEXT([Type]), “Enumeration”, “Work Item”, “Rate”)

The lookup expression now searches the current List value of [Type] and converts it to text. If this text matches a value in the worksheet “Enumeration” under the column Work Item it returns the corresponding Rate. I then use a virtual column to dynamically display corresponding costs and projections for varying [Type] values

Top Labels in this Space