Image mising in reports

I have a client with a Google Docs report template file we haven’t changed in months. About a 3rd of the images (roughly 10ish) are missing and instead show something like this

Note how the lower image is fine. Also when you click on the link it opens up ok in a browser.

The user reports that if they rerun the report it seems to be the same images missing each time

Any ideas?

Solved Solved
3 32 1,718
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Simon, We have multiple reports with this issue today. We are actively working on it now.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

We are having the same issue. Our report generate, but we have a rectangle box where the image should be. I have also noted that on the app itself, some images are not loading either.

Make sure Security>options>Require Image and File URL Signing is turned off.

This is still an issue even with signing turned off

Also its kinda random.

Ran 1st time = 5 missing, including a signature
Ran 2nd time = none missing
Ran 3rd time = 1 missing

Each about 2-3mins apart

We are also experiencing randomness. The same Workflow PDFs sometimes include all photos, other times random photos are missing.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please contact support@appsheet.com for help with this.

Same here. Instead of the signature we sometimes get a gray box. If we run the workflow again, the image is there. I will contact support.
appName=Wartungsliste_Test-38452-651676
Workflow = DSGVO PDF

I can click on the gray box, because it contains the image URL. When I open it, I get this Error:
ERROR 9504: Could not fetch the image - request timed out

I don’t think that this is necessary. If you open the workflow and click on “Test”, you can see the JSON code. In there you find the image URL. This is an URL to the image file with a signature. But this URL is public even if “Require Image and File URL Signing” is turned on.
As stated here, this URL signature doesn’t seem to have an expiration.

It seems that while creating the PDF file, the rendering service cannot access the image in some cases.

Here is the answer from AppSheet support:

This is a temporary issue with some images: if you retry loading the image, at the second attempt it will work.

Obviously this is not a valid fix for the already created reports.

The product team is already aware of this issue and they are working on a fix.

I will add your account to the list of the affected one to get the fix rolled out, once available.

Still waiting for a fix…

Guys I am experience the same both on the UX as well as PDF generated with Images.

Is there any update.

Thanks from Australia

I had the same experience, images that were there suddenly would not appear although everything looked right in the data table - no obvious reason why some appeared and not others.

Eventually i realised the datetime field that fed into the key was not set as a datetime type (Think it was text) and this was creating superlong names. By correcting the fieldtype and replacing the key values for the images they all reappeared and no issues since.

Hope this helps some of you…

Hi @Graham are you talking about images in your App, or in a report (PDF)?

Graham

Thank you but dont understand why this would change on some of them inconsistently.

There has not been any changes to the APP template. this has to be at APPSHEET backend.

@Peter_Yates, I think @Graham was just noting the problem that affected him in case someone else reading this thread also experienced the same. I agree with you that the problem you are experiencing is likely due to a change at AppSheet. Please contact support@appsheet.com for help.

First of all, apologies for the inconvenience. We have engineering looking into this with all the urgency.

Just for the context, we have tried looking into this issue earlier. Then we found the root cause to be slow Drive access due to different reasons like hitting quota limits, drive api latencies etc and images reads timing out.

We are looking into this issue now to verify if there are any recent changes that caused this side-effect.

More updates soon.

Yes, sorry it was both in the app and on reports for me. seemed totally random and this just appeared out of nowhere so I presume something behind the scenes did change which highlighted my error…

As Steve says I am just sharing in case it sheds any light on others issues…

We are making a release with more instrumentation like error codes returned, with stack traces to understand the issue better. We should have some update to share in next 12 hours so. Our engineering team is still working on this issue and its 1:00 am PST here.

Meanwhile, can you please confirm if the image uploads have any issue or is it just with reads?

So we have this AGAIN!

Sorry but I’m getting really frustrated with this now. I have clients who’s entire business is to generate PDF reports with photos in them. They are losing patience with Appsheet and considering alternatives.
As before the photos have uploaded fine. I can see them in google drive and the URLs in the report link to the same images.

I understand the issue is with the Appsheet to Google Drive link. But:
1 = This has been ongoing for months now
2 = Appsheet is owned by Google
3 = Google Drive is owned by Google

Escalated. Please also contact support@appsheet.com.

Done

@1minManager sorry to hear the issue still persists. It’s been a very harder problem to get to root of exact cause. Team has some theories and testing out different options.

Meanwhile, we have tried to change the underlying renderer for your account. Can you please give it a try now and see if it works.

Yes that seems to work ok now

Hi @Harsh_Ch we are also affected. Please add our account too.
ID: 651676

We are also experiencing this issue. Please add our account as well.

I am experiencing this today. Is there only a partially rolled out fix, or any other updates on this?

Edit: Support’s response is that there is still only a temporary fix that can be applied to individual accounts, where the image rendering service is set back to the old one. This did the trick for my case.

This is happening again for me today…

Simon, We have multiple reports with this issue today. We are actively working on it now.

Sorry Simon but unfortunately I’ve had this issue - now sporadic - for the past 2 months.

Fingers crossed we have a resolution.

Hello,

Was there any kind of closure/progress for this issue? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Good day. Any updates on this concern? Experiencing it now and the client needs the images loaded in the report/file generated.

Hi,

We also notice this issue on our reports. Any updates on this or a workaround?

Please contact AppSheet Support for help with this.

Top Labels in this Space