Image syncing from Google drive to AppSheet. ...

Image syncing from Google drive to AppSheet.

When images are uploaded from Google drive to AppSheet, I understand they are reduced to 600px across.

If the image on Drive is say, 5mb, does the whole thing have to upload to AppSheet first before it is shrink to the smaller in-app image?

Or should the images be first shrunk down to 600 pixels to speed up syncing?

Would like to know how it works. I understand that AppSheet shrinks the images before uploading when the photos are taken within the app. But how does it work from drive to app?

0 8 833
8 REPLIES 8

You have the UX > Options > Image Upload size option where you can choose what will be the image size when you save the image into the Drive. When you open the page with a image from the app, it will use the same size you have uploaded.

@Aleksi_Alkio

Yes but if the image is say 5mb on google drive and you have 100 of them, does AppSheet have to use 100 x 5mb = 500 mb of bandwidth to sync those images into AppSheet?

If I shrink the images first in google drive they are about 100 x 200kb = 20mb of bandwidth.

It is what I do now but an extra and time consuming step

My images are uploaded directly to Google drive, and not through the app

Harry2

@Stefan_Ottomanski1 Hi Stefan, for the images to be displayed in the app, they have to be downloaded from Google Drive and stored in your mobile device. As a result, the more images you have, and the larger the images, the longer it will take to sync the app. 100 images at 5 MB per image is quite a lot of data to download. As a result, I highly recommend reducing the size of your images, especially if you anticipate the number of images to increase in the future.

Hello @Harry, what size weight in kb is recommended that the images should have?

@FREDY_ORTEGON Thereโ€™s really no fixed rules that dictate that images must be of a certain size. It really depends on your use case: how many images do you anticipate your app will need to load and display at a given time, what is the image quality that your app users need, do you have fast Internet connection? Overall, the more images you need, the smaller each image should be. The trade-off is that smaller images usually have poorer quality and lower resolution. One simple rule of thumb that you can try is to experiment with different image resolutions and sizes until you find the smallest image size that can still satisfy your app users, and then stick with this size.

I have 11,500 images/files (mostly images) in the folder path of my app and my sync time is 5s. Whole folder is 6GB, even when we used to have every file in the app and 3000 images needed to be loaded for some users we only hit around 20 seconds. I donโ€™t think the files had any impact on our sync time? It affects add times alot for the apps I have that allow adds but just reading hasnโ€™t seemed to do much. They load as we scroll past the images.

@Harry Thanks. Thatโ€™s what I wanted to know.

Top Labels in this Space