In a Workflow, [Name] results in the computed...

In a Workflow, [Name] results in the computed key (which is the timestamp+Name), is there a way to change this so only the name populates in the workflow vs the computed key?

The name column I am wanting to use is a reference to another table if that makes a difference.

Thank you!

0 8 616
8 REPLIES 8

If [Name] is a Ref column, sounds like that timestamp+Name is a Key in the referrenced table, am I right?

If yes, then check see in that referrenced table only [Name] column is checked as Label in the column structure. I am guessing right now the computed key is checked both as Key and as Label.

Yes, timestamp+name (Computed key) is the key in the referenced table.

But, only the [Name] column is checked as the label for all tablesโ€ฆI was hoping that was the simple solution. Any other thoughts?

If that [Name] column in the referenced table is already set as label, and workflow is not showing it, then you can add a Virtual Column and enter a de-reference expression in its App Formula like this: [Name].[NameColumn_in_ReferencedTable]

Then use the Virtual Column in workflow template.

Thank you. I considered that as a possible option but hoped to be able to correct the โ€œproblemโ€ because the [Name] reference is used in many places for multiple tables and reports and this workflow error follows it throughout (I will have to change a lot of <> and file names).

Do you feel the virtual columns and de-refs are the best solution? Or should I continue to try to uncover what is causing this undesired outcome and try to correct it?

If the workflow is showing stored value for the Ref column, instead of label value, then you cannot do anything about it other than using De-reference, but I just recalled there is a better solution than what I said earlier; you actually do not need a virtual column; just enter the De-reference expression directly in those workflow tags like this, and it will work:

<<[Name].[Name_in_RefTable]>>

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh

Sounds like in workflows Ref columns show stored value as opposed to label value; is this on purpose? Or you already have it on your list to fix it?

The de-reference worked. Thanks!

In the app itself, we make the decision to show labels instead of reference keys. However, it is not so obvious that this is always the right answer in a workflow rule (especially in an attachment document sent as part of a workflow email). So we have to think about this a bit more before deciding what to do here.

Top Labels in this Space