In calendar view, seems the end date is curre...

Alper

In calendar view, seems the end date is currently interpreted as “until the end date” so when drawing color lines, the Enddate day is not covered. Is this made intentionally or? If yes, it might be a good idea to add a switch into calendar view settings, to include/exclude the Enddate in the date range. If I add endtime, like 23:59, then it covers, but do not prefer to add another unnecessary column, or

+1 to Enddate to display it correctly.

1 7 908
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Hi! Was this ever solved? I seem to be running into the same issue: The colored lines on the calendar view are not inclusive of the last day in the date range.

So here is the reason for that: A date value of “2/27/2020” when converted directly to DateTime translates to “2/27/2020 12:00 AM”. Which is the same as the end of “2/26/2020”. So, in essence, you either must specify a time at the end of the day for the line to keep drawing, or always add 1 to your enddate on the back-end. Because if you don’t provide a time, the default will always be 12:00 AM.

2/27/2020 12.00am is not end of former day to my eye. It looks like very first minute of 2/27/2020 ?

When drawing the line they’re essentially the same. The line is stopping at the very first second of 2/27/2020 if that were to be the actual end date. If you want it to continue into 2/27/2020 and until the very last minute, you must specify the 11:59 PM or make the end date one day later with the default 12:00 AM, since it will look visually the same as “2/27/2020 11:59 PM” on the calendar.

OK, thanks. I don’t get that decision to make it operate that way - every other calendar system out there understands an event from the 20th-22nd is inclusive of the 20th and 22nd.

I don’t want to add a start/end time because they’re not relevant to my events and add another step to creating entries - is there a creative way to get this to work as desired without having to select a time every time?

Thanks!

“Every other calendar system” that you are used to always assume all day events unless you specify otherwise.

However, what you are used to is the front-end interface that assumes all day for you. Back-end components don’t make these kinds of assumptions. It’s up to you as the developer to do so. These views are base frameworks and if you want a certain outcome you have to make it happen.

Yes they are relevant. They are relevant in the other systems too. They are relevant because your days start and end at a time. When the event starts, it starts as soon as the clock rolls over to the start date at the default 12:00 AM, and when it ends on a certain day, it ends at the very last minute of that day. But you have to tell it that. You don’t have to have a user enter the time. You can just have a default end time of 11:59 PM. But some programmer had to make that happen in “every other calendar system”.

The absolute easiest way to do it, is to add 1 day on the back-end after the user selects the actual end date. Especially since this is purely a visual formatting thing for you.

Top Labels in this Space