In the Service Log Demo in the customer table...

In the Service Log Demo in the customer table is keyed on the Customer Name. The problem with this is sometimes we have to create a service log before knowing the customer name. I have tried to use “unknown” as a stand in to later edit once customer name is available but because it is a key no later editing is possible.

Can I now safely change the key with out risking my already entered data and what key should I use? What is a computed key and should I use that instead maybe?

Thank you for any help.

0 3 292
3 REPLIES 3

tony1

@Marius_Scholtz Just use a unique id as the key and have the Customer Name be a regular non-key column. Just add a column that’s hidden with UNIQUEID() as the initial value.

@tony Thank you Tony, looks like it is not working, my existing data in the Customer field (the old key) now has a yellow exclamation sign next to it. I gues it is orphaned. What should I do with this?

Then when I create a new entry and look at my customer sheet I do see the unique id appear in the correct column and the name in the customer column, all looks good.

But when I look in my ServiceLog sheet I see the ref field I used to bring the customer name over is now the unique id in this sheet. Weird in the

app it shows the customer name but I still cannot edit the customer name. Please help.

tony1

@Marius_Scholtz The yellow triangle means the reference is broken. That means the value in your Ref column is not a key in the table that you’re referencing.

help.appsheet.com - References Between Tables

Make sure the Name is not read-only, is not the key, and has no editable_if constraint. https://help.appsheet.com/data/columns/editing-your-columns References Between Tables help.appsheet.com

Top Labels in this Space