Initial Value IFS Expression with Reset On Edit

One of my tables has a column Reporter_Name with Reset On Edit turned on and an initial value expression like:

IFS(ISNOTBLANK([ReporterInfo_fk]), [ReporterInfo_fk].[NameAndOrCompany])

Where ReporterInfo_fk is an Enum type column with Ref sub type. When selecting a choice in ReporterInfo_fk during a new form entry, Reporter_Name changes as expected. However, if I clear the choice in ReporterInfo_fk, it also clears the value in Reporter_Name.

Is this standard behavior? If this is standard behavior can I change anything in my expression to retain the value already in the column if I clear ReporterInfo_fk?

Solved Solved
0 2 174
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes.

Reset on edit re-evaluates the initial expression when the record is edited. In this case, since the ref column no longer has a value, the IFS returns nothing/blank. It is doing exactly what you told it to.

In what circumstance would you want the ref column blank, but the de-refโ€™d value to remain? That seems very odd.

I canโ€™t remember, but [_THISROW_BEFORE] might be usable here. You could maybe add-in a second condition-value pair to the IFS:
ISNOTBLANK( [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Reporter_Name] ) , [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Reporter_Name] )

Edit: Or modify the reset_on_edit expression to only return TRUE when the Ref column changes
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[reporterinfo_fk] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[reporterinfo_fk]

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yes.

Reset on edit re-evaluates the initial expression when the record is edited. In this case, since the ref column no longer has a value, the IFS returns nothing/blank. It is doing exactly what you told it to.

In what circumstance would you want the ref column blank, but the de-refโ€™d value to remain? That seems very odd.

I canโ€™t remember, but [_THISROW_BEFORE] might be usable here. You could maybe add-in a second condition-value pair to the IFS:
ISNOTBLANK( [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Reporter_Name] ) , [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Reporter_Name] )

Edit: Or modify the reset_on_edit expression to only return TRUE when the Ref column changes
[_THISROW_BEFORE].[reporterinfo_fk] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[reporterinfo_fk]

This works. Thank you!

Top Labels in this Space