Inline Actions: Option to Display as Data (column value, including images) Instead of Icon

I was going to make a request for Actions to allow custom images instead of the default icons…

But I was also thinking about a minor annoyance with Inline Actions:
The data is no longer available in table view. The button completely replaces the data, so if you want to see the value AND have the button, you have to attach it to a different column.

I think both of these could be solved by a new display option.

Could we get an Inline Action option to display the Data (column value), instead, and have that column value (including images) be the button?

Then we could make buttons out of any image, even dynamically generated SVGs, or dynamic placeholder images from other web services.

Thanks for considering!

Status Open
13 9 852
9 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Absolutely!!!
3X_c_7_c74c490e4667cfa55d8554fca01f0cdc5e3b81f2.png

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Oh now, don’t make me get on my soapbox again!

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Hahaha

I guess I could take an hour and go through all the previous ones, cleaning things out giving me viable votes again…

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Yeah it doesn’t seem like there is a quick way to go through all of the voted items to “unvote” some of them.

I’ll put in a Feature Request and you can go vote on it! Oh wait…

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I would like to add another consideration for Inline Actions to this post. Separate options for the Inline Action to show/no show in Table and Detail views. it seems it would fit better here than in another Feature Request.

Recently, some system-generated View Ref actions began showing automatically in Table views. While there could be benefits of that behavior, it is in some cases not the preferred default. The only way to prevent it, is to “disable” that action.

But then if a developer wants it show in a Detail view, a custom Inline action would need to be created.

Instead, of the workarounds, developers should also have options to show the Inline Actions (any inline action) in Table and Detail views - one option for Table views and one option for Detail views.

Columns types can default differently. For example, Phone and Email Inline Actions might automatically default so that the Inline Action is shown in both the Table and Detail views. But a Ref column defaults to NOT show in a Table view and show in Detail view.

Thoughts?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

I can see how this can be frustrating… you want to show the ref text in the table (while still allowing people the option in the details view to tap the ref and navigate to it).

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Create a slice specifically for the aggregate view that doesn’t include the unwanted actions. Base the aggregate view on that slice.

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

That’s a good workaround.

But man, it would be great if there was a toggle switch or something. (Then we wouldn’t have to create the slice, create the specific view, set the event action, create a navigation action to take me to the standard detail view… I could just flip a switch.)

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager