Inserting Google Addresses into Map

Hi everyone,

I have an app for tracking our clients as well as jobs, where our machine operators travels within a set geographic area (mainly farms) and has regular clients as well as clients who call up to have specific work done.

Clients each have an address which plots a pin on our map UX, which in turn can have โ€œJobsโ€ assigned against the client.

Our Operations Manager will receive calls for jobs at any time, so needs to be able to enter a new client (and job) wherever he might be (he mostly will never be at the location). The problem I have is that there doesnโ€™t seem to be a reliable way of accurately entering the address? Our current work around is to drop a pin on the map, which works fine when he knows exactly where it is, but if itโ€™s a road he doesnโ€™t know, this could take a lot of time and involve finding it on Google Maps so then he can try and get it in AppSheet.

Iโ€™m sure others have this issue? The best case for us is like Google, to enter the address and a set of options are presented, is this or will this be a function in AppSheet? When I first started creating the app, there were addresses presented in this way, but they didnโ€™t seem to result in a correct pin. The photo below shows the function in a safety program we use.

I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and knowledge on this.

Kind regards
Anton

0 3 543
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

If you are using Address field and the option โ€œGeocoding enabled?โ€ is set to ON, it should work with the same way than your safety program.

It does work, however there are a couple of things with it which would be good to understand:

• Is there any way that the suggestions can place preference on addresses which are local to the position of the user?
  • I tried this function today from my mobile device while I was away from the office and sometimes there will be no suggestions?

Many thanks for your time.
Anton

I think that geocoding (and suggestions) could work better if we could specify the country or other type of bounds to prioritize by.

@praveen, could you comment on what Google Maps APIs are used by AppSheet and why this is particularly problematic in some parts of the world such as New Zealand?

Also, should we add improved geocoding via country or other bounds as a feature request if it is not already there?

Thanks.

Top Labels in this Space