Instant update Form Formula

Hi everyone,

How can I make a formula in a form, update everytime a field in the same form is modified?
In this case, The Total Column should be updated when any other field is changed by the user.

The expression apparently works fine, but its not updating the column:

Solved Solved
0 16 408
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So I found a way to make it work, by using a different table for the prices and use the โ€œlookupโ€ formula in the โ€œprice columnโ€ of the form.

I still dont understand why it wouldnยดt calculate the formula with data from the same rowโ€ฆ

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Steve
Participant V

What is the expression for the Total column, and where are you using it (App formula, Initial value, etc.)?

Hey Steve, thanks for helping out.

This is the expression for Total Column:
([Agua] * [Precio Agua])+([Pringles] * [Precio Pringles])+([Coca] * [Precio Coca])+([Cerveza] * [Precio Cerveza])

Using it in App Formula.

Your expression looks fineโ€“I would expect it to work fine.

The App formula is where I would recommend the expression be, so you should be good there.

Try changing the column type for the Total column to Price or Decimal; Number is probably not what you want.

Thanks Steve,

Yes, I did that too.
I tried both Price and Numberโ€ฆ I just tried decimal also and didnยดt work either.
I even tried adding a Breaker and another page with the total column to see if it would process it when changing page, but nothingโ€ฆ
Its not even updating the column in the datasheet after savingโ€ฆ

Please post a screenshot of the column list for the table, and a screenshot of the column configuration for the Total column.

Here is the column list:

And the Total Column Config:

Well, nothing jumps out at me as wrong. At this point, probably best to engage support@appsheet.com so someone can take a look at your app directly.

Thanks Steve, I even tried creating a new app and starting over but I had the same results.

Iยดll contact them.

So I found a way to make it work, by using a different table for the prices and use the โ€œlookupโ€ formula in the โ€œprice columnโ€ of the form.

I still dont understand why it wouldnยดt calculate the formula with data from the same rowโ€ฆ

All price columns were hidden and Editable was set to OFF.

And therefore empty, so effectively $0.00, producing a 0 result?

Would you consider adding a virtual TOTAL column? It should be updating instantly.

Well, I actually need the record for the total column in the table.
I believe Virtual Columns do not generate recordsโ€ฆ

For the TOTAL column, try to use [TOTAL_VIRTUAL] for the app formula expression.

Correct

Thanks for this, I thought the formula could read the data in the table even if the column was hidden.

Top Labels in this Space