Interactive Dashboard Bug: Unselecting Parent Record Displays Random, Unrelated Child Record (First Row)

Interactive Dashboards will filter/update the child record(s) based on which parent record is selected.

But this has the confusing side-effect of displaying the first row from the child table whenever no parent record is selected.

Iโ€™ve had multiple users from different clients/apps that have expressed frustration and confusion with this behavior.

As a developer, I understand that no parent record is selected, so the child view defaults to the first row. But to most users this does not make sense. It doesnโ€™t click for them that itโ€™s just the first row. Instead, it is a random, unrelated record. This happens often with users who like to double-click when selecting a row, which ends up unselecting it.

As a workaround, I have added a new first row in the child table to indicate that no parent record is selected.

3X_f_1_f114f0aede046875b2bb479d8d100246af08024b.png

This is a tricky problem because โ€œFixingโ€ this behaviour could mean losing the ability to instead navigate records from the child table.

I think the workaround may be the best approach, unless we can be given more granular controls over the individual behavior of each sub-view in a Dashboard.

Instead of a Dashboard-level ON/OFF for Interactive_Mode, we would need special controls for each view. I know thatโ€™s a huge overhaul and not likely to happen just to fix this one issue. But adding such a feature could solve a range of other issues and make dashboards that much more powerful.

9 0 314
0 REPLIES 0
Top Labels in this Space