Is it feasible to generate PDF, display, ask for signature and save

I need to enable workers to create a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) on each job they do. The format required is too complex and data intense to use traditional fields going down the page since every line item on the JSA comprises multiple long and short text fields.

Therefore I propose creating an app where the user can select just the specific elements they need to build into the form. I then want the app to generate a form, using a Google Doc template, displaying all the relevant data in a table and display the form for the user to study, and thereafter sign in the app confirming he has read and agreed to the document. From there, the PDF needs to be re-created with the workerโ€™s signature and emailed and/or saved.

Before I start on the project, is this feasible, or is it beyond the scope of AppSheet? Is there a sample app that does something similar?

Rob

0 4 465
4 REPLIES 4

Hi, yes this is possible to do with Appsheetโ€ฆ though itโ€™s not simple one, but doable. You canโ€™t choose elements but you can generate the form with correct questions through the app and then start to use it. Thatโ€™s a tricky part.

The rest of the app is quite basic like adding Workflow/Emails features. Unfortunately we donโ€™t have such a sample app at this moment that could cover all of this. Workflow sample apps you can find from www.appsheet.com/sampleapps

Thanks. I think I am going to have to work out the max number of selections and have a form with that many drop downs. Then use those answers to generate the pdf etc. Using parent/child tables to enable unlimited numbers of selections will make the app messy to use.

Griff. I am new to appsheet and came across your post about generating JSAs. This is exactly the next app im attempting to tackle. Have you had success?

Hi Russell,

It looks like youโ€™re new to the community - welcome.

Yes I now have a model that works for us in most instances using two variants of a method that Aleksi put me on to.

For more complex tasks, where we have specifically developed JSAโ€™s, I have an ENUM LIST field called JSAs Required. The user can select from the half a dozen or so listed JSAโ€™s and then I use a Word Documents with sections like the following:

<<IF:In(โ€EWP/ Boom Lift/Sissors Liftโ€ ,[JSAs Required]) >>
In here I have the JSA with appropriate mappings to fields like customer name, address, etc
<< END>>

For more routine tasks I have a field called Tasks that is likewise based on an ENUM List. In this case the ENUM List is based on a table called Tasks with fields called Task Step; Existing; Before Risk; Controls; Responsible; After Risk; Reviewed by: Reviewed When.
The user can select multiple Tasks like โ€œboom lift operationโ€, โ€œCleaning concrete slurry off tankโ€, โ€œMixing SIKA HHโ€, โ€œUsing Angle Grinderโ€ etc.
The same Word document referred to above has a seciton as follows

<<IF: IsNotBlank([Tasks]) >>
In here I have a standard header and footer and in between is a table with information from my Tasks table for the selected tasks
<< END>>

Using another field, the user enters the email address of the site supervisor and a workflow generates an email to the site supervisor with a message asking them to print off the PDF attachment and give to our workers.

Some of the site supervisors have suggested that our management should prepare, supply and print them, but they usually respond favourably when we tell them that itโ€™s the worker who is meant to prepare the JSA, not management, and the fact that it goes to them to print means they have a record that it was done and signed off by our staff.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Top Labels in this Space