Is it possible to get an Excel output from th...

Is it possible to get an Excel output from the content of virtual columns?

0 11 518
11 REPLIES 11

Convert the virtual column to an actual column?

How can I do that? And I still want to keep the virtual columns going.

@Adrian_Enz Iโ€™ve put some thought into this and havenโ€™t been able to come up with anything.

@Adrian_Enz Some things you should know:

• A virtual columnโ€™s value is set by the columnโ€™s App formula.

• A virtual columnโ€™s App formula is re-evaluated and the columnโ€™s value updated every time the app syncs.

• A non-virtual (normal) column can also have itโ€™s value set by an App formula.

• The value of a non-virtual column with an App formula cannot be edited by an app user.

• A non-virtual columnโ€™s App formula is re-evaluated and the columnโ€™s value updated only when the row is edited and subsequently saved.

• A non-virtual columnโ€™s App formula updated value is written to the spreadsheet along with all other non-virtual column values when a row is edited and saved.

If youโ€™re looking for a way to keep the spreadsheet as up-to-date as the virtual columns are, thereโ€™s no straight-forward way to do that.

@Adrian_Enz If youโ€™d care to elaborate on what youโ€™re trying to accomplish, I might be able to offer more guidance.

+Steve Coile Thanks for your response.

I want to keep it as up-to-date as possible. So I need to keep the virtual columns.

So there really isnโ€™t a possibility to work with virtual columns and get the values that are generated from a formula into an Excel Sheet or Google Sheet?

@Adrian_Enz Not to my knowledge, no.

really random here but could you possibly have 2 columns both with the same app formula but one is a virtual that you show and the other is a non-virtual that you hide. So the view info is always up to date but it would still sync downโ€ฆ

@Segolene_Sansom I also thought about this, but the problem is, that I need to manually save every database entry to get the value into the normal column, which is not a possibility with 5000 entries.

@Adrian_Enz can you elaborate on what youโ€™re trying to accomplish? What is it youโ€™re computing on the app that you want saved to the spreadsheet, and why is it so important that the spreadsheet be so up-to-date? With more information, we may be able to offer better suggestions.

+Steve Coile So, the app is designed to track optical fiber installations in apparements. We have buildings and in those buildings we have different flats. Every building and every flat has a status (ex. appointement, installed, make new appointement, problem).

On every building and flat I have a referenced table called โ€œWorkinfosโ€ where every new status and entry is tracked. So a technician can set a new workinfo in a flat with the comment โ€œcustomer not at homeโ€ and set the status to โ€œmake new appointementโ€. Now this status is only in the referenced workinfo table, but I need it in the flat table. I have a virtual column in the flat table which gets the most recent workinfo status with a select formula.

And now I want to compare this flat table (the virtual column status) to another excel sheet from our company. But I canโ€™t because I canโ€™t get the values from the virtual columns into a sheet.

I hope this explains it good enough.

Top Labels in this Space