Is it possible to have an action button do a ...

Is it possible to have an action button do a HTTP POST followed by an HTTP GET?

I am currently doing GET and passing url parameters but the parameters may exceed the URL character limits.

@praveen @Philip_Garrett_Appsh

0 8 409
8 REPLIES 8

Not currently unfortunately. It is on our TODO list though.

Okay, Thanks.

An action can set the value of a column though, and that can trigger a Google App Script perform the POST and GET. The only thing you canโ€™t do is force a userโ€™s AppSheet session to update and reflect the changes immediately.

Yes, true. What I am wanting is for the action button to go to a website immediately after returning from doing a POST.

Actually, come to think of it, what you suggest might actually work for me if I use two actions. Thanks @GreenFlux

Yeah, I think the new feature for multiple actions per workflow could help here. One action to write to the sheet (triggering the App Script), and one action to open the webpage. Hopefully the App Script can finish in time to update the server so the GET response can be displayed when the page first loads. You might want to add conformation dialog on the second action to slow down the user :).

Generally speaking, I donโ€™t want to encourage using AppScript because it is something external, asynchronous and difficult to maintain along with the rest of the app.

I know we havenโ€™t provided an alternative here. But Iโ€™d like to gradually see us eliminate the need for using appscript

@praveen I agree that ideally, we shouldnโ€™t need App Scripts at all. Iโ€™ve been very impressed with the speed with which the AppSheet team continues to deliver new features and I know this is on your radar.

I just wanted to offer an alternative, given the current limitations of AppSheet. And Iโ€™ve recently been learning a lot about App Scripts so Iโ€™m always looking for a new project to build

Top Labels in this Space