Is it possible to link to the primary view in...

Is it possible to link to the primary view in a Dashboard, via an Action using LINKTOVIEW or LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW, carrying across the relevant column value to select the relevant row of the Dashboardโ€™s primary table?

0 11 710
11 REPLIES 11

Is the case like thisโ€ฆ You are showing a table and detail view on your Dashboard. Now you want to carry key value from the detail view and open that individual table view with the same record?

@Aleksi_Alkio

Hi Aleksi - I think there are a few situations where it would be useful, but the one that spurred the question was where i have 4 levels of relationship, and want to show two per dashboard.

For instance, on Dashboard 1 have Countries and States tall deck views and on Dashboard 2, Counties and Townships tall deck views.

The functionality I was after would be to select USA from left pane Dashboard 1 to bring up the list of States on the right pane, and then have an Action button on each entry on the States deck view that when selected would take the user to Dashboard 2 where the Counties deck view would be filtered to only show the Counties for the State selected on Dashboard 1.

The user could then select, say, โ€˜Orange Countyโ€™, from the left pane of Dashboard 2 to show the relevant Townships on the right hand pane of Dashboard 2.

At any point, the user could elect to edit, say, a State or a County, but the point is they would be able to easily navigate the entire four tier hierarchy, updating, adding or deleting data wherever they needed.

At the moment, I have trialed four tall views side-by-side (in browser mode), and it makes managing the data very easy and intuitive, but as text doesnโ€™t wrap in deck views, it would be better to gain extra width for each tall pane, by spreading the functionality across two Dashboards.

Have you tried something likeโ€ฆ LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(โ€œDashboard2โ€,[STATE]=[_THISROW].[STATE])

I didnโ€™t even know STATE existed!

Iโ€™ve never had much success finding the list of available appsheet variables.

Iโ€™ll try it out, tonight.

Thx

No No State is one of your columns.

@Aleksi_Alkio

Face palm Translate

LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(โ€œDashboard2โ€,[STATE]=[_THISROW].[STATE]) doesnโ€™t work,

I tried linking to Dashboard2 with a nested LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW for the left pane of Dashboard2 using

LINKTOVIEW(โ€œDashboard2โ€(LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(โ€œCountiesDeckโ€,[STATE]=[_THISROW].[STATE])

but that just took me to Dashboard2, lke the first expression.

If there was a way to let Dashboard2 know that I am targeting a view within it, then that would be the way to go, but I donโ€™t know whether thatโ€™s possible.

I wondered whether writing a custom deep link might be the answer, but Iโ€™m loath to go there, at this stage.

I

It seems that the LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW() doesnโ€™t work with dashboard views if you need to carry out a dynamic value. I wasnโ€™t aware of that. My mistakeโ€ฆ sorry.

@Aleksi_Alkio

No probs.

Thereโ€™s always another way.

FatLou

Did this ever get figured out?

I didnโ€™t. I ended up having all four levels of my hierarchy, plus related inline views on one dashboard. If I was thinking of doing it now, I would probably look at having the second dashboard (D2) content rely on a filter that was set by the last click on the first dashboard (D1). Using my analogy of two years ago, D1 left pane would enable selection of US as the country and D1 right pane would show US states, because the dashboard would be in interactive mode. Clicking the โ€˜go-to-D2โ€™ inline action against New Jersey on D1โ€™s R/H pane would run two grouped actions, 1) set the filter for the left-hand, โ€˜Countiesโ€™ pane in D2 (ie, include any County whose state = in this case, โ€˜New Jerseyโ€™, and then 2) LinkToView D2. D2โ€™s L/H pane would be driven by a Slice that is dependent on the filter set by the action 1). I havenโ€™t tried this, so canโ€™t guarantee success, but this is the type of solution I would pursue. Sorry I canโ€™t be more definitive.

Top Labels in this Space