Is it possible to retain original file names ...

Is it possible to retain original file names for PDFs, Images and the like?

Whilst I’ve seen similar posts I cannot find a definitive answer to the question of how to retain original file names when uploading to Appsheet. I have 2 Apps that in part use common read only data that refers principally to pdf files and images.

Having organised my data and given them meaningful names it is frustrating that the file is saved again and renamed if uploaded via Appsheet, is there anyway of stopping it from changing the name and saving a further copy?

Thus far the only workaround I have found is to enter the file path & name directly into my spreadsheet and not via Appsheet. Thanks, Steve

2 11 1,454
11 REPLIES 11

I’m afraid the app will rename the file name and there is no workaround at this moment.

Thanks for getting back to me. That’s fine I’ll have to work around it, but suggest it would be better if it didn’t or at least allowed the option.

@Aleksi_Alkio I would need the original file names for PDFs and Images after uploading too. Just for displaying it to the users, it is irritating for them to see different names after uploading. It would be great if you would enable this feature (fetching the original filenames).

+Dr. Matthias Waibel The problem is this… if the user is uploading the same pdf more than once or if there are two different files but with the same name, the app would not know which one is the correct one. That’s why we are using the unique key value and the time in that file name. But you are right… it would be a good feature if we could use the original file name.

@Aleksi_Alkio That is clear. That is why i would wish the feature just for displaying purpose. Within the backend the unique file naming makes absolut sense.

Agree with both foregoing comments. Would it be possible for user to be prompted to enter a display name for the file?

I will add this to our request list.

Thanks Aleksi

hcquadros
Participant IV

That would be an useful feature.

I kept the file names by adding the document manually to the data cloud system and adding the file path (also manually). Of course I was able to do that only for a few critical documents, since its a lot of work and a lot of steps that could go wrong.

But, even like this, when opening/downloading the file, it opens/downloads with “gettablefileurl” name. It would be nice to keep the cloud file name when downloading too.

@Aleksi Is there any update on this? Are we able to extract the original file name of an image?

@Fabian I’m afraid that’s not possible.

Top Labels in this Space