Is there a way for users to filter records on a list without storing the filter data to a table?

Hello, I have a detail view designed for users to select a category from a dropdown and view the results in a deck view. The filter field is based directly on a table (filters table) so when the user makes their selection, that selection is stored in the filter table. When the same filter is used in other screens their last selection is still in the field causing a bit of confusion for the user and others using the app.

How can I set it up so when the user moves away from the form, the field is cleared or somehow not store the data to begin with since the user is simply using it as a filter? Iโ€™ve tried Reset on Edit but the field is the only one being accessed so no other edits to the โ€œrecordโ€ exists.

Appreciate any ideas on this one - stumped. Thanks

2X_8_850671657fd382dea3152bd03e36f99de84193e5.png

0 7 736
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @Daisy_Ramirez,
I believe you may wish to add a few more details for community colleagues to share relevant inputs.

Could you please add details such as

1. since category in filter table is in detail view , is it set as a quick edit column ?

2. When you mention โ€œother screensโ€, does it mean a combination of detail view(s) from filter table and deck (or other) view(s) from some other table(s) put together in say various dashboard views? Or do you mean multiple users using the same view or screen.

3. Do all users use one single record and set of fields from the filter table to set the filters?

Thanks Suvrutt,

1. since category in filter table is in detail view , is it set as a quick edit column ? Yes, set as quick edit.
  2. When you mention โ€œother screensโ€, does it mean a combination of detail view(s) from filter table and deck (or other) view(s) from some other table(s) put together in say various dashboard views? Or do you mean multiple users using the same view or screen. multiple users using the same view or screen.
  3. Do all users use one single record and set of fields from the filter table to set the filters? Yes, one single record for the app can be used by multiple uers

Hi @Daisy_Ramirez,

Thank you. It sounds that since multiple users are using the same record /fields, their settings could overlap. One thing you may wish to try is having a different record for each user in the filter table.

A similar requirement is discussed in the post mentioned below. In that post, please take a look at the discussion related to creation of user table. Hope this helps.

Hi Suvrutt, thank you. Unfortunately, this is a publisher pro community app. USERSETTINGS would work perfectly, if only I could access the table and have the category field selection stored there from a detail form. The category field would be the most frequently used field in the app and users would not naturally go to Settings to continuously update the field.

Looking for some of those out of the box ideas

A million thanks as always!

Steve
Participant V

Is there a way for users to filter records on a list without storing the filter data to a table?

Aha! I was just testing with USERSETTINGS - Thanks Steve!

Hereโ€™s the thing - Iโ€™m looking to have the data from the USERSETTINGS table appear as a field in my detail form. Can I reference USERSETTINGS in a SELECT statement so I can display the options?

Unfortunately, you cannot give the user access to modify a user setting from another tableโ€™s views; user settings can only be modified from the user settings form.

Top Labels in this Space