Is there a way to recompile an app? For some...

(Rob atYahoo) #1

Is there a way to recompile an app?

For some reason i have to close and reopen my app after every update otherwise the photo and drive to buttons just dont respond. How do I fix?

(Levent KULAÇOĞLU) #2

@Rob_atYahoo what do you mean with “recompile”? Can you elaborate? If you update an app’s definition (meaning changing it’s structure), you will need a hard-sync in your mobile device to let it download the latest build. Otherwise it won’t work as expected.

With hard-sync, I mean when you close the app in your mobile, you should remove it from the background running also. So the next start, the app will perform a hard-sync, instead of a soft-sync.

(Praveen Seshadri (AppSheet)) #3

Rob, I didn’t understand the correlation between your two issues.

The second issue is of concern. What device are you running this on? From your description, it sounds as though there is an error the first time you click on the photo button and therefore any subsequent click on it doesn’t work. Any details you could give us would help

(Rob atYahoo) #4

I am moderately proficient with MS Access. There are times when, after having made a few changes, MS Access doesn’t respond as it should and the solution is to do a recompile. I was wondering if AppSheet had a similar issue.

By way of background I made a change this morning to one of the Slices in my App (I raised a question on it because I couldn’t figure out how to work with ENUMs). That was the only change. I did a save and all seemed well.

When I went in the field and used the App first time it wouldn’t respond to the button that launches Google Maps. The phone was running a bit slow too so I rebooted the phone. It then worked perfectly but after arriving at the destination and trying to edit the record, the image buttons wouldn’t work until I did

a hard-sync. Then I tried using the next record to open Maps again but the button wouldn’t work until I did another hard-sync. That pattern continued several times.

Fortunately I had a tablet with me so I logged in, tried to ReGenerate the columns (thinking that may force a recompile). I then did another hard-sync on the phone but no change. However after another 2 hard-syncs it started working properly again and continued working properly for the rest of the day.

(Levent KULAÇOĞLU) #5

@Rob_atYahoo what do you mean with “recompile”? Can you elaborate? If you update an app’s definition (meaning changing it’s structure), you will need a hard-sync in your mobile device to let it download the latest build. Otherwise it won’t work as expected.

With hard-sync, I mean when you close the app in your mobile, you should remove it from the background running also. So the next start, the app will perform a hard-sync, instead of a soft-sync.

(Praveen Seshadri (AppSheet)) #6

Rob, I didn’t understand the correlation between your two issues.

The second issue is of concern. What device are you running this on? From your description, it sounds as though there is an error the first time you click on the photo button and therefore any subsequent click on it doesn’t work. Any details you could give us would help

(Rob atYahoo) #7

I am moderately proficient with MS Access. There are times when, after having made a few changes, MS Access doesn’t respond as it should and the solution is to do a recompile. I was wondering if AppSheet had a similar issue.

By way of background I made a change this morning to one of the Slices in my App (I raised a question on it because I couldn’t figure out how to work with ENUMs). That was the only change. I did a save and all seemed well.

When I went in the field and used the App first time it wouldn’t respond to the button that launches Google Maps. The phone was running a bit slow too so I rebooted the phone. It then worked perfectly but after arriving at the destination and trying to edit the record, the image buttons wouldn’t work until I did

a hard-sync. Then I tried using the next record to open Maps again but the button wouldn’t work until I did another hard-sync. That pattern continued several times.

Fortunately I had a tablet with me so I logged in, tried to ReGenerate the columns (thinking that may force a recompile). I then did another hard-sync on the phone but no change. However after another 2 hard-syncs it started working properly again and continued working properly for the rest of the day.