Is there a way to set a work flow ‘condition’...

Is there a way to set a work flow ‘condition’ to a rising edge trigger?

For example, send SMS to field tech when [tech name] goes from <>”John” to

=“John” Currently I have the workflow set to update “updates_only” along with ‘condition’ set to [tech name]=“John”.

Problem is anytime ANY change to the row that includes John results in a SMS.

This is why I’m looking for an event trigger or a rising edge trigger when it goes from <>John

to

=John

0 9 346
9 REPLIES 9

Yes this is possible as described in topic “Sending Email When a Row is Updated to Have Specific Values” in this article help.appsheet.com - Workflow

Workflow help.appsheet.com

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh thanks!

Pls direct me to understanding the “ . “ in the formula.

Not sure what they do in an expression.

@Tim_Meske

[_THIS], [_THISROW_BEFORE], AND [_THISROW_AFTER] are built-in “Refs” that refer to the added, updated, or deleted record. Therefore you use a Dereference" to access a specific field in the referenced record. See help.appsheet.com - Dereferences

I have updated the article to explain this more clearly.

See topic “Sending Email When a Row is Updated to Have Specific Column Values” in article https://help.appsheet.com/behavior/workflow-introduction/workflow

Dereferences help.appsheet.com

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh you guys are awesome!

This worked perfectly.

Thanks!

@Tim_Meske

Thanks Tim!

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh one more related thing… Looks like your recommended expression senses both false to true OR true to false change. Is there something to implement that would only sense the change of state from false to true?

@Tim_Meske

If you only want the condition to be true when [tech name] = “John” you need to include that condition in the AND. For example,

AND([tech name]=“John”,

[_THISROW_BEFORE].[tech name] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[tech name])

So Tim, do I undertand you correctly that you only want the SMS message sent to John the first time the [tech name] field is updated to John?

If so, you will need an addition column that gets changed when [tech name] goes from blank to John.

Try something like this:

Add a column at the end of the google table and call it [techupdate].

Set the value of this column when a record is created to “A”.

Then when the [techname] is assigned to John in your workflow, send the SMS message to John and set the value of the column [techupdate] to “B”.

For other changes that send sms messages add the condition in pseudo code -

IF [techupdate]=B do not send to John.

Hope this helps.

m.j.

@Tim_Meske @Mary_Jane_Pender

Mary Jane’s approach is needed if you must cope with the case where the value of the [tech name] column is updated repeatedly and the value goes from: 1. Not “John” 2. “John” 3. Not “John” 4. “John”

The approach I described would send an SMS on both updates 2 and 4. Mary Jane’s approach would only send an SMS on update 2.

Thanks for pointing that out Mary Jane!

Top Labels in this Space