Is there any way to ensure that it can be used correctly by multiple people without errors?

Participant V

There is a GOOGLE SHEET which has a TABLE
There are three fields [DATE], [AREA] and [NAME]
And [DATE] + [AREA] + [NAME] cannot be entered repeatedly for archive!
Is there any way to ensure that it can be used correctly by multiple people without errors?
Thank you

0 11 549
11 REPLIES 11

Do you mean that you would like to combine these 3 columns together? If yes, you could use [DATE]&" โ€œ&[AREA]&โ€ "&[NAME]

Participant V

Are separate fields

Sorryโ€ฆ not 100% sure what the question is. Can you explain, thanks.

Participant V

Thatโ€™s the question I donโ€™t understand how itโ€™s related to your โ€œ[DATE] + [AREA] + [NAME]โ€. Are you trying to sum these columns somehow?

Hi @Aleksi,

If I may join the thread, since I had responded to earlier post thread on the topic by @11166.

@11166 basically wants the combination of [DATE] + [AREA] + [NAME] not to be repeated once that combination is used in a table record. So I had given the standard approach of avoiding duplicates through Valid_if expression and also mentioned that the approach may not work in multi user environment.

@11166 wishes to know if there is any approach that will avoid duplicates in multi user environment also. I had requested @11166 to post a new thread for that query.

Earlier post thread is here.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar No worries Maybe with the a merged key column like [DATE]&":"&[AREA]&":"&[NAME]. Then you are not able to add the same twiceโ€ฆ unless if two users are doing it at the same time. But that will be the same situation what ever method you use unless you use like DateTime or UNIQUEID().

Very valid point @Aleksi. Thank you very much.

Participant V

If using ms sql server as the source database
E.g:

CREATE TABLE dbo.Participants
(
DATE VARCHAR (8) NOT NULL,
AREA VARCHAR (20) NOT NULL,
NAME VARCHAR (20) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (DATE, AREA, NAME)
)

END

No problem even if 1,000 people are added at the same time !!

Thank you

Participant V

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to issue MS SQL related commands in APPSHEET

If it can be achieved in the future, it will be more perfect
Thank you

Participant V

So currently use AppSheet+Google Sheet
What is the practice?
Thank you, teacher

Top Labels in this Space