Issues with testing emulator

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see the ability to view the emulator as another user? I can’t remember exactly what is was called, but I used to be able to “sign in as user: email@emailaddress” and test. With the different types of security in my apps, it’s almost impossible to test anything now.

Solved Solved
0 6 441
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@CorpIT It won’t show it if you don’t have any security filter. Please check if you have any.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

With the new emulator view it’s in the upper left corner… not on the bottom left corner anymore.

@Aleksi Can you show me a screenshot? I still can’t seem to find it

@CorpIT It won’t show it if you don’t have any security filter. Please check if you have any.

@Aleksi Ah okay, I would have never thought to check that. No, most of our apps don’t use anything the security filter tab. We mostly use USEREMAIL() formulas within slices to determine which users can see certain things. But it looks like I can trick it by putting =TRUE in a security filter. Preview as User seems to be showing up now.

Yes that’s one trick

We’ll need to revisit the conditions that are checked for this, expressions anywhere in the app containing USEREMAIL() would present a valid use case. Or for consistency just always show it, so people don’t have to wonder about what are the conditions.

@CorpIT You may want to consider using security filters rather than slices for this purpose. Slices don’t prevent the data from being sent to the app, so users could potentially see values outside their slice if they know where to look. Security filters are designed to prevent this.

Top Labels in this Space