It seems that in the last few hours, my app h...

It seems that in the last few hours, my app has lost the ability to add new records (without any changes to the design).

Is anything funky at Appsheet?

0 16 369
16 REPLIES 16

I was able to use a workaround to get it working: I cleared the โ€œIf this condition is trueโ€ field of the system-generated action.

I had this field set to โ€œFalseโ€, because I didnโ€™t want users adding child records directly. I wanted them to Add via the parent recordโ€ฆ and that had worked.

So, now, the Add sign โ€œ+โ€ is being displayed with the Child table.

This is undesirable. How do I allow users to add child records from a parent record, but disallow it directly in the child table ?

@Adam_Stone_AppSheet Valid idea, however the childโ€™s Ref field, the Parentโ€™s unique identifier, is not readily known by the userโ€ฆ thus, the necessity of searching for the parent prior to adding the child record.

After our deployment tomorrow (around 1PM PST), it will be possible to mark the Add action as โ€œDo Not Displayโ€. We were being overly zealous trying to correct that when checking the app definition.

@praveen Works great,

as desired.

Thanks.

@praveen I spoke too soon. Last week,

I thought it was working correctlyโ€ฆ But today, with Add enabled and Add Prominence set to โ€œDo not displayโ€,

I cannot see the โ€œNewโ€ command for a new child record under the Parent record.

i.e. Appsheet is not displaying the โ€œNewโ€ as well as not displaying the Add Action icon.

@praveen Iโ€™m back to โ€œDisplay overlayโ€ so users can Add recordsโ€ฆ

ok, well, yes the two things are related. Sounds like you want to show it one place and not in the other. We donโ€™t have that level of sophistication yet

No intentional change. Could you please submit a bug report via appsheet.com - Customer Support - AppSheet with as many details as possible. Thanks Customer Support - AppSheet appsheet.com

@Morris_Arthur Actually this was related to an intentional change. It was not intended that those inline add buttons should ignore the action condition, as the condition should really determine whether the action is enabled regardless of where the button is. Seems like we need more view-specific controls for when and how to show actions though, since thereโ€™s no expression to produce the behavior you want. As a workaround can you try setting the prominence to something like display Inline rather than making the condition False? The + button in the table only appears in the table view when the action is set to display Overlay.

OK. So I was taking advantage of a flaw in the original implementation. Iโ€™m surprised that others donโ€™t have this requirement for making sure all child records have valid parents.

@Adam_Stone_AppSheet

I was momentarily optimistic when I looked at the Prominence attribute of the Add Action. I chose โ€œDo not displayโ€โ€ฆ that would be a perfect solution. However, after choosing โ€œDo not displayโ€, then Save, my changes didnโ€™t

stick: Prominence went back to โ€œDisplay overlayโ€.

I cannot change to โ€œDisplay inlineโ€ either.

Bug ? or by design ?

Hmmโ€ฆ I guess for these system actions the presentation options are constrained in this way. And I think โ€œdo not displayโ€ would behave similarly to making the condition false and hide it everywhere as well. @praveen can you think of any way to accomplish this? If not maybe we can exclude him from the new behavior until we have a way to configure this?

@Adam_Stone_AppSheet Iโ€™m OK for now. I turned on โ€œconfirmation requiredโ€ and suggested my users respond โ€œnoโ€ if they try to Add directly.

Ok, and if you mainly just want to make sure every child has a parent, you could also set the Ref to be required. If itโ€™s currently hidden youโ€™d also need to show it in the form when blank to enforce the requirement, for example with a Show_If like IsBlank([_THIS])

@Morris_Arthur, it should be possible to mark it as โ€œDo not displayโ€. Let me check.

Top Labels in this Space