Item separator by a line break from select statement

Hey folks, is there any way of separating text values by line break from list select statement? I want the items in the virtual column called test to be separated by line breaks as it is in the second picture. I also need these items to be separated by new lines in my generated word document so thatโ€™s why Iโ€™ve created the extra virtual test column. Thanks!

โ†’

Solved Solved
0 8 2,645
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Like this:

SUBSTITUTE(SELECT(...), ",", "
")

Note carefully that the first line ends with a quote mark and the second line begins with a quote mark. The second line should not be indentedโ€“it should be flush against the left edge of the expression-editing window.

See also:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Like this:

SUBSTITUTE(SELECT(...), ",", "
")

Note carefully that the first line ends with a quote mark and the second line begins with a quote mark. The second line should not be indentedโ€“it should be flush against the left edge of the expression-editing window.

See also:

It works great, thank you for your quick response Steve!

If SELECT returns a list, why do we need to substitute a string?  shouldn't the separator setting in the virtual column take effect?

I am also facing this issue and when I use the test feature on the virtual column formula, it gives me what I would expect with my separator.  But if I display this column in a detail view, it shows the default , separation.  Seems like a bug.

Of course as a workaround I can use this substitution or I can maybe try a JOIN list to text with delimiter equivalent expression (posted about this separately)

As you explain @Steve , it works fine in the virtual column... but when I create the DOC I have the same problem again, and it's all on the same line.
Do you know how I could fix this?
Thank you so much!

Please post a screenshot of the document template that shows the part that isn't working.

Thanks so much @Steve, I solved it reading other post from you!

Which post that solved the issue of the DOC output

@Suarezdelrio 

Top Labels in this Space