Join us for AppSheet Office Hours on February 3rd: Platform and Community Updates

Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

appsheet-office-hours-february.png
Join us for our new series of AppSheet Office Hours, kicking off on February 3rd at 11AM PT, where you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and receive answers live from AppSheet experts.

In this first session, we’ll focus on recent updates and new features to the AppSheet platform, including automation, dynamic emails, compliance, connecting to BigQuery, updated barcode scanning, and more.

We’ll also provide an overview of the new AppSheet Community site and acknowledge its top contributors from the past year.

If you have any questions in advance - whether it’s about recent AppSheet updates and new features, the new Community site, or even a general question about using AppSheet - please add a comment in reply to this post and we’ll be sure to address it during the session.

With our new series of AppSheet Office Hours, it’s our goal to provide a trusted space where you can receive support and guidance along your app creation journey. We hope to see you there!

Agenda

• Welcome from the AppSheet team
  • Recent AppSheet platform updates and new features
  • Open Q&A
  • New AppSheet Community site walk-through
  • Top Community contributors in 2021
  • Open Q&A

Meeting information

6 12 477
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Lauren_van_der_Vaart

Thank you for introducing an event to look forward to.

The link to add Google Calendar seems to be breaking.

3X_f_1_f148a4e97338b66e6686b6ad6954430ad85cfc37.png

Hi @Takuya_Miyai, apologies and thanks for the heads up! The calendar link should work now. If you’d like to try it again, you can see the updated link in the post. Thank you!

Thanks!
I was able to add it successfully.

3X_8_e_8e9dcd91d33bb3d67998e15228097725b8171100.png

Will this be available to watch after the event as 11am is 7pm UK time?

Hi @Martina, yes! We will be sharing the recording with the community shortly after the event. If you have any questions you’d like to make sure we cover, please let us know with a comment on this post. Thank you!

SkrOYC
Participant V

I would like to learn on which changes were pushed just to follow Google Policies and an explanation on how this changes are an enhancement for the users of our apps and the creators.
Lately I’ve been thinking heavily on the question “Should I still be using AppSheet now that’s so deep into Google?”. I feel like the boat is going to directions that we can not predict nor even give an opinion, which is quite disappointing and also disencourgagging.
I’m trying hard to just ignore all of this and make workarounds to make my goals inside AppSheet, something that is normal and that some creators have been doing for years. You know, there is no one-size-fits-all.
How can we be certain that future changes will be made taking into account creators’ wellbeing and not just Google’s interest?
I’ve been suffering all day long since stupid and kinda minor changes like the Right alignment of a lot of the UX, the new Range slider, the New Chart limitations and more

Hi @Lauren_van_der_Vaart

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
Here are my questions

New Feature Roadmap

Maybe it will be revealed in the new community, but I am also curious about the roadmap for the future.

The features I am particularly interested in are the following, so I would like to know their current status.

Apps Script Outbound channel

New chart

Iframe

Integration into the Google Workspace brand?

I was curious to see the Google Workspace logo on this youtube preview as well.

As you know, GCP users and GWS users have slightly different attributes. (Of course there are user companies that use both.)
I would like to know what kind of branding Google plans to use for AppSheet in the future, as I think this is a part of their sales strategy.

Hi @Lauren_van_der_Vaart @Andrew_Biernat

What will happen to the content of the Service Partners & Resellers category?
Will it be moved to the Partner Advantage portal?

3X_3_a_3aee0e35ee7a9fc877a6a72797afc0f53ac3fdea.png

It will move to the new community site (not with Partner Advantage).

Thanks @Andrew_Biernat !

I look forward to hearing more from you during our office hours.

Ami
Participant V

Hello, i have a question:
When i build an app it contains a client’s data.
Let’s assume i’m using google sheets as my data source. When the client wants to know how secure is the data, who do i refer them to? What should be the proccess? How could i know if i’m complient with privacy laws and regulations?

I work as a consultant and when i purchase an app, i require that the supplier provide a detailed document about the data etc.

So how do i as a creator can provide the same?

Thanks

I only just discovered Appsheet yesterday but do have a load of newbie questions.

Concur with Ami that it would be nice to know how Appsheet specifically resolves compliance in regards to GDPR legislation and overall data security concerns.

• E.g. will a free (non Workspace) Google account suffice in terms compliance and security standards in regards to sensitive data. My presumption is that it doesn't due to Google data tracking, so e.g. if one pushing an Appsheet app to a client s/he would need to have a paid Google Workspace account in place (?) 

Secondly

• I am very eager to know if and how Appsheet intend to improve in the future to facilitate targeted SaaS development scenarios.  It seems the current usage of Appsheet is somewhat limited in this regard. E.g. if one want to develop (and administer) a journal app that supports SaaS subscription- based pricing with access to a closed environment. Point of the app would be to enable subscribers to add their own clients to a walled version of the app to for whom s/he can track health data related to treatments and is/will it be possible to markup the subscription costs in case I use Appsheet as the framework for such an app?
  • Another naive question: won't pushing an Appsheet app to another Google user expose the app backend/structure on that account (if they sign up for Appsheet as well)? Some concerns I have are whether non-tech savvy client buy accident makes uninteded backend changes. Or worse; enabling copycats to simply sign on wherebe they get hold of a copy they can redistribute in a rebranded version without my knowledge/concent. 
  • Finally, I would like some clarity in regards to enterprise pricing. E.g. I can see one cannot control versioning of the app on unpaid plans which is unfortunate development- wise. As a solo potential app creator I would like to know expenses and margins up front. Currently, these are not clear.

Unless I'm mistaken these requests maybe/probably cannot be accomplished (or avoided) very easily, however I would love to stand corrected or at least get an easily digestible answer as to what is possible and how far Appsheet can take me in this regard.

Thank you 🙂

Kind regards
Mads