June 10, 2021

Deployment Time: 11:41 AM PST

Features & Enhancements

Item Description
Feature New! OAuth v2 client credentials grant type authorization feature for the Apigee data source. For details, see this new feature announcement: Apigee Data Source - OAuth for Client Credentials Grant Type.

Other features added:
- Pagination

- Query Params

- YAML format support (in addition to JSON) for OpenAPI Specs

Bug Fixes

Item Description
Bug An issue was fixed where selected slice columns did not reflect the latest columns after a Change column was removed and automatically added back in. Deployed to all.

Rollout changes

Item Description
An issue was fixed where some users received 404 errors trying to view images or files from Google Drive uploaded to AppSheet apps. The problem typically happened for file names longer than 40 characters that included non-English characters and spaces. The fix for this issue is completed and will be rolled out over time. New: Available to 5% of free users.

Previous: Internal only.

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Google BigQuery data source

For details, see the official announcement on the AppSheet Community.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Filters in AppSheet applications
  • App users can now filter items from a collection of records based on column values. The feature is available both on mobile devices and desktop computers. Learn more.
  • In the Search box, you can now filter by label.
  • Strings in the filtering interface, such as Done, Clear, Contains, and so on, can now be localized under UX > Localize.
  • In filtering, Yes/No attributes now support custom Yes/No display values.
1 Like

Please provide more detail about the “Query Params” feature.

1 Like

I need some details on this…

2 Likes

Attn @Scott_Haaland

Hey all,

All of the details for Pagination and Query Params are in the Apigee Data Source doc page. Please let me know if there are questions after you’ve reviewed the docs, @ai_saks @Grant_Stead @Steve

R,
Scott

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Haaland
I would encourage AppSheet team to host a webiner or sort of video tutorial how to set up Apigee + Appsheet connection from zero level in terms of the knowledges to Apigee especially.
We only tested Apigee connection for GET request only, never suceeed in connecting through Open API specs, which should be tons of useful options we are able to gain.
The problem is we dont have much of step by step tutorial and guide how to set them up.

The difficulties for no-code appsheet developper here in community will be how to set up Apigeee proxy, product as well as app… While we build our own proxy, we experienced tons of difficulties to make a single proxy out of the box even for simple API endpoint for GET request. Most of the case, the response back from API endpoint is returning a response which is NOT consumable by AppSheet, hence, we need to push JS (Javascript) policy to conver the format of JSON and pass them to appsheet. Difficulties are not stopping over at this paritcular point. We managed to add apigee proxy as data source to Appsheet, we keep facing the problem, error we are not able to read proxy as table.
We attemped to build a quick app out of Apigee, but our attempts keep failing sadly, just because of this.

We never succeed in connecting swaggar based, i.e. Open API spec API endpoint to add neither.
This might be easider for us ratther than building manually proxy where no JS policy or other complex stuffs involved. But we are not sure how to deal with existing Open API to build appsheet app as we are missing step by step guide. These days, majorities of people prefer to watch tutorial on movie rather than examine long pages on text book.

Pagination as well as filtering which is the main topic for this thread sounds fantastic, but we are not sure if it is or not, as we have no way to conduct hands-on testing as we have NIL success story in terms of Apigee Open API connectors.

It is possible I might be a single person who never succeed in connecting Open API spec to Appsheet, but the skill level required to achieve is surely higher than dealing with appsheet itself which is no-code platform.

As usual, just as a feedback.

3 Likes

Hi @tsuji_koichi ,

Thank you for your feedback. Most company’s will have a full staff of dedicated developers who will be writing Apigee Proxies for their other use cases, and so we have not attempted to document all the various steps that might be required on the Apigee side of things. Our intent was never for an AppSheet no-code developer to attempt to write Apigee proxies, but rather, to work with their Apigee developers to USE proxies already written, or have those developers modify them as per the requirements from AppSheet.

I can suggest that you check out the Apigee video series, which helps you to quickly learn new tricks for how to create Apigee proxies. You can find these on YouTube here and here and here.

As you can see, there is a lot to learn to become an API developer… I’ll see if we can get something specific to building an API specifically for AppSheet published soon.

Thanks,
Scott

1 Like

Hi @Scott_Haaland

I dont think much of the company do have their own internal resources such as IT desk to deal with Apigee stuffs to help the citizen users and help to develop useful apps, that should be the reasons that AppSheet is collecting the interest in the app creators in the world.
So my baseline and base understanding is different from yours in terms of how the resources is available to appsheet creators. which is non-code platform. If we admit that the developping appsheet app is requiring a help from developper, then Appsheet become low-code platform.

Yes I read and watched series of Apigee turorial, like 4 mins tutorials. It just little help to understand to develop proxy. After struggling with official apigee documentations, we managed to create the proxy from public API endpoint and consumed as data source for AppSheet app. JS policy to convert JSON format and return the values etc was involved. Tough to set up.
In Apigee in general, we have to crate product, then app … multiple layers. which making us difficult to understand how to set up even easy easy proxy as well.

Just as a feedback.

1 Like