June Office Hours

It’s the end of June already!

@Derek, @Phuong and I are getting started with AppSheet Office Hours at 9am PT, and besides doing live Q&A for your questions, the agenda will include:

• New Feature: Workflow Step Rearrangements
  • New Feature: Automatic App Documentation
  • Internal AppSheet App Preview: ‘Collateral Portal’
  • Using GPS & Barcode Scanning for field service check-ins
  • Using Security Filters for data control & improved performance
  • Using Webhooks to track app activity
  • Use virtual column to simulate double dereference

You can register here (if you can’t make it, register and the recording will be emailed). Please post any questions you have for office hours here!

3 26 2,256
26 REPLIES 26

Chris_Jeal
Participant V

Can see and hear you guys

Is it possible to have the Action buttons “Inspect” aligned to the left vs. all on the right?

Will there be a GPS feature that allows you to track shipments in real time or with a very small delay?

Can we find this app to play around with it?

Auto app documentation of my app created 132 pages. It would be great if this could be consolidated.

Are user settings limited to just the 10 columns?

Security filter doesn’t seem to be available for my Publisher PRO plan.

Sight and sound confirmed

Sorry I couldn’t post before now: This question pertains to the location tracker app: Could an action be created to auto assign an inspection to an inspector based on nearest location?

Hello, not related yet to what’s going on - if someone can tell me what to research I would be grateful.

I want to add to create/add a line item from a list of products and add it to an existing quote (or new quote). I have 10,000+ items, easily searchable by groups, it makes sense to 1. find the item & 2. add it to something.

It doesn’t not make sense to 1. make a quote or invoice & then 2. choose the item, because I can’t have a dropdown with 10,000 items.

More specifically - I make line items from a list of 10,000 possible products, the line item is the product with images and the condition and value estimate noted. Imagine a list of existing cars and my line items are used cars, the app make estimates for how much my employees will pay a person to buy the given used car model for our shop.

Hi @cameraville ,

Here is documentation on dependent dropdown that you might find helpful for your use case - https://help.appsheet.com/articles/961554-dependent-dropdown.

Let me know if you have any questions!

On Total Clicks - Is it possible to do something like this in Publisher Pro when there are no particular users? Are Webhooks available in Publisher Pro?

Webhooks: When sending data from one app to another, how is security handled?

Collateral App: Do we have access to the Collateral Application? Helps with our local marketing efforts as well

Derek3
Participant IV

For those interested in the double dereference, I have a sample app that highlights the process. Feel free to check out at the link below! https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Demo-to-simulate-double-dereference?appGuidString=ccb0eacb-66d6-44c...

How much will app sheets cost to publish?

Q: Is there any way we can put the app without publishing it, int our websites google drive?

Q: can we upload documents, more than 1 sheet per column?

Q: How do you link sheets together and put it on app sheets?

Hi @Kate_Hornyak!

Thank you for attending our webinar session today.

I’m following up with your questions below:

1. Q: How much will app sheets cost to publish?

You can take as much time as you need to start building and testing your secure app for free with up to 10 users testing your app & providing feedback. When you’re ready to publish it to the rest of the team, we have subscription plans that would allow you to bring on more users and have access to our more advanced features, including some of those that were covered in today’s session. You can find more info about our offerings here: https://solutions.appsheet.com/pricing

2. Is there any way we can put the app without publishing it, int our websites google drive?

You do have the ability to whitelist a given list of users when deploying your app. This way, you’re able to limit the number of users who have access to the app. Here’s a helpful page talking about this feature: https://help.appsheet.com/articles/2382138-users-the-essentials

3. Can we upload documents, more than 1 sheet per column?

We do have this capability. I suggest having multiple sheets within the same doc to help organize your data. When creating your table within the editor, you will able to select the specific sheet you’d like to upload to the app. Here is an example of an app using this functionality:

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Inspection-app-for-equipment-across-multiple-facilities-with-a-map-...

If you go to the “Facility” table -> View Source, you can see that the doc contains several sheets.

4: How do you link sheets together and put it on app sheets?

You will still have access to all of the separate Google sheets in your drive. For the example above, the “Facility” and “Equipment” tables were generated from two separate Google sheets: Facility and Equipment respectively. You can find this info by going to “View Source” for both tables. Once the sheets are uploaded as tables, one way you can map data across them is to use our Formulas functionality; which you can learn more about here: https://help.appsheet.com/articles/961507-app-formulas-and-initial-values

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Justin, Jordan, Trevor, and Carlos,

Following up with your questions on whether you can access the webinar recordings:

We send them out via email right after each session. Let us know if you’re able to access it. Also, please feel free to post any questions you may have after having the chance to revisit the material.

@Rezell

Thanks for attending the session! Please find the answer to your question below.

Q: When you get a chance. Can you please provide insight into how to use the calendar? I created it as a tab but can’t seem to figure out how add information to the calendar.

As long as your table has information regarding Start Date, End Date, Start Time, etc., the event will automatically be populated on the calendar. You could then click into each event and see values from the other columns displayed in a detail view. Here’s a great sample app showing this functionality in the “Calendar” view:

https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-for-viewing-and-editing-local-events?appGuidString=88a50e83-...

Hi Wellington, Kevin, Samuel,

Please find follow ups to your questions below.

Wellington
Q: Can I edit my columns properties in some kind of html language?

It is currently not available in our editor. Could you provide more information on what you’d like to achieve? Perhaps we can leverage our current functionalities to achieve it.

Kevin
Q: Is there api reference page for different actions like add/edit/delete

Please find the documentation on how you can interact with our API here: https://help.appsheet.com/articles/1979966-api-the-essentials.

Samuel
Q: On UX is it Possible to have more than 3Clumn?

Could you please let me know what the 3 columns are referring to in our UX tab? If it’s the number of views you can display within “Primary Views”, then the answer is yes. Here’s a sample app displaying 4 different views: https://www.appsheet.com/samples/An-app-with-map-dashboard-and-charts?appGuidString=0e3e62cd-e712-4f...

Please let me know if this is what you were referring to.

Hi @Dario Silva,

Following up regarding your question about workflow-save file.

Q: I’ve used a folder path in a workflow-save file rule, but I don’t know how to reference the file in the action section

Are you trying to save the file using this file path? If so, then it would depend on what was set as your “Default app folder”. You can find it by going to Info -> Properties -> APP PROPERTIES -> Default app folder. You can then use “File Folder Path” in workflow to access certain files within the default app folder.

For example, my “Default app folder” is “appsheet/test_app” within my Google Drive. Within “test_app”, I have two folders called “important_documents” and “not_important_documents”. By setting “File Folder Path” = “important_documents” within work flow, then my file will be saved to “appsheet/test_app/important_documents”.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edit: Looks like I got it working, had to construct the URL manually (as per this page).

Original message: Thanks for the reply Phuong. I’m using Drive as a folder path, and have it set up to default locations. What I’m having trouble with is using an action (in this case ‘External - opening a file’) to reference the saved PDF filed from the original workflow rule. I need some way of tracking a URL link from the workflow rule that I can then reference in my action. I tried an alternative method (using a email-attachandarchive workflow rule) and this works better for me, however I am still unable to reference the Attachment URL in the original action I’m trying to set up. I can reference the URL in the body of the workflow notification by using <<_ATTACHMENTFILE_URL>>, but I need these links in my spreadsheet rows not just inside of the email body template.

Hope thats a bit clearer, Any help will be greatly appreciated! p.s my app is not yet deployed.

Kind Regards,
Dario

Hey @Dario,

Here’s some documentation on how you can display images and documents from Google Drive: https://help.appsheet.com/articles/961605-displaying-images-and-documents (URL Value -> Google Drive section).

The URL mentioned here can be placed directly into the “File” field. You’d just have to make sure that it is publicly accessible if you decide to share it with other users.

Let me know if this fits your use case. I’ve attached an example below.

Hi @tsuji_koichi,

Following up regarding your question about VC:

Q:Can we make and use VC as column to trigger workflow? I m interested in finding answer?

Triggering workflow will depend on the “Update Event” of the “Target Data”. However, you can set a condition on the virtual column within “IF THIS IS TRUE…”.

Q: Biggest improvement i ever made with appsheet was to set up INDEX on sql data table, but is there any similar solution available on spreadsheet, like google sheet? to index column to improve the performance?

Indexing isn’t available in Google Sheets. Therefore, the most optimal solution for managing a large dataset would be to use a SQL database.