Just 1 Table 50K rows 15 seconds sync - no virtual column

I am migrating an app from Appmaker to Appsheet and found AppSheet to be debilitating slow. To test, I have Google Cloud SQL (MySQL) DB, 1 table, about 50K rows, no virtual columns, no relationships, no formulas, no DB functions, etc. It is taking about 15 seconds just for this. I wonder how has anyone built any serious business apps on this. Appmaker was so much faster - loads in a split second. It seems Appsheet is designed for small apps with 5K or less rows. We are only 20 employees and reaching 50K rows, how will any serious business use Appsheet when it is this much slow.

When I add more tables (8 tables, 50K rows in one table, 7K rows in 2nd and just a few dozens in other reference tables), it take 60+ seconds. At first, I thought this is due to Google Sheet. However after testing in Google Cloud SQL (in the US / Central region), performance barely improved. I have checked option to cache, delta sync, etc.

I have read performance tips mostly suggesting using security filter. In this case, a user should be able to reach/search/access any of the 50K records - so filter is probably not feasible.

Is there something I am missing?

0 8 513
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I know nothing about AppMaker. Did it keep the app data resident on the device, or was the app always interacting with the data over the network? With AppSheet, all of the data is device-resident, so sync time is directly affected by the size of the data set.

Appmaker is a Google Product for low code development - it loads data on demand/as needed just like virtually all business apps do. Google is discontinuing it after they acquired Appsheet - instead of merging the products over time (as most companies do). Appsheet is proposed as an alternate to Appmaker. I think having data resident in the device may not be the best architectural choice - specially for desktop web based apps. There should be an option for device-resident vs loading data on demand - as a vast majority of business apps do.

I noticed that it is taking 10 seconds just for data typer conversion - when I accepted all the default data types as Appsheet pulled scheme. There is no calculated/virtual/formulas, etc - so why data conversion is needed? I also noticed that some tables donโ€™t have this data conversions.

Hi @Ali_Sabir I responded on your other post about SQL read time. Something there we need to investigate because that seems odd.

Wrt AppMaker vs AppSheet, thereโ€™s some core differences which have been documented. AppSheet is not a drop-in replacement for AppMaker. Instead, it has been a lot more focused on mobile apps and disconnected use cases, which has influenced the design a lot. Every app is designed to keep working in fully or partially disconnected mode.

The articles in this section can help you with ideas on how to build a more performant AppSheet app.

Personally, Iโ€™m also eager to work with a few customers who want us to push the boundaries of the platform performance, including with connected scenarios. In 2021, weโ€™re increasing our focus on connected/web apps (not instead of but in addition to the prior focus on mobile apps).

Hi Praveen,
The phrases you mention in the previous post actually caught my eyes. I m afraid I m not fully catching up what you mention in this post, but sounds like Appsheet may start to seek a possbility to let the app work on the realtime database so that the app users can view the data change made by others instantly, like other app, like instant chat tool etc. This is what I have been awat for to come and play.
I m happy to get involved in the conversation and any project to make this happen.

This would be like a dream come true !!!

Hi Praveen,

Iโ€™d be very happy to work with you on this. I think the ATEC security timesheet/customer paperwork app which melds data and documents in Azure SQL, a sheet in smartsheet and also potentially Google calendar fits the bill!

Best regards,

Andy Eastham

Hi, we are facing similar issues with performance. Currently this is the main issue of Appsheet. It cannot scale for tables with few K of rows without becoming unusable.
We are working with Appsheet for 4 years now, it is a great product but until the concept of sync is solved across all the aspects it will stay on a limited use.
The idea of been able to work offline is good, but cannot come with the price of performance when you are online.
I hope the Appsheet team will find a solution so an Appsheet app will behave like normal modern app.

ฤแป“ng bแป™ quรก lรขu viแป‡c nร y lร m trแบฃi nhiแป‡m khรกch hร ng khรดng tแป‘t.

Cรณ lแบฝ lรชn chuyแปƒn sang nแปn tแบฃng khรกc.

แปž ฤ‘รขy cรณ ai dรนng nแปn tแบฃng nร o tแป‘t hฦกn appsheet khรดng?

Cแบฃm ฦกn!

Top Labels in this Space