Keys the most unnerving thing ever

Vi_Tu

I keep trying to give AppSheet a try but OMG i just want to throw my computer out the window. And mind you not I have been doing development for 16 years using php and nodejs.

OK here is my dilemma. I am using a MySql database to hold my table.

Table 1: Equipment
Fields: id (auto increment) / name / model / serial_number / status

Table 2: Equipment_Service
Fields: id (auto increment) / equipment_id / description / service_comment / status

I added both in my appsheet and set up the tables. The system added _RowNumber to each table. I than related the two via the equipmnet_id.

When you try to create a new equipment the equipment_id shows as required and cant be set to blank. Also you can not unself the key option as you will get โ€œkey needs to be setโ€, i than set up the _RowNumber as key but that still did not work.

I than set up the formula to UniqueID() only to get the error โ€œcannot use an app formulaโ€

So what is the point of a key if you cant set it to be automatically unique???

0 5 202
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

For your key column on your table , push uniqueid() expression into initial value, rather than AppFormula.

[_rowNumber] column is not recommended to use as Key/ID in general, even though AppSheet automatically select it as key, but we need to change arbitrary to other suitable column for key.

wow thank you so much. i have honestly searched for this all over google.

Just to add to @tsuji_koichiโ€™s guidance, please use the AppSheet support page to search for AppSheet help artilces and sample apps. There are many helpful articles therein written specifically with AppSheet platform in mind.

https://www.appsheet.com/Support

Please search by keywords such as โ€œkeyโ€ in this case in the above link and you will get the relevant articles.

For example, the following artilce describes concepts on keys as applicable for AppSheet

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The database and AppSheet table (primary) key columns should be the same. The database MUST NOT be assigning the key value; AppSheet MUST assign the key value.

See also:

My comment to you is โ€œindeedโ€ to avoid any problems betweem AppSheet and SQL.

Appsheet is the one to assigne the key value, not SQL to avoid any possible conflict.

Top Labels in this Space