KML for Map or XY using Network Link

In column types like Address, LatLong, XY we can add an Optional Url for KML File.

It was disused many times, how we can host the KML file.
Now I found a method how you can use your Google My Maps File directly without the need to export it and to host the exported KML file.

The URL should look like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/kml?mid=YOUR_MY_MAPS_ID

Donโ€™t forget to set your Google My Maps File to โ€œAnyone on the internet with this link can viewโ€.

If you like to show only one layer of your Google My Maps File, you have to:

• Export to KML/KMZ
  • Select a layer
  • Enable โ€œKeep data up to date with network link KMLโ€
  • Enable โ€œExport to a .KML fileโ€
  • Open the exported KML file in Text Editor
  • Copy the URL after <href>

Itโ€™s the same URL as above, but includes the Layer ID (lid).

Now comes the next step.
A Network Link is like a Bookmark to a KML or a KMZ file.
The idea is: You can use a Parent KML file which will catch a Child KML file.
The result: You will always see the most actual KML file.
By using refreshMode, you can say how often the Child KML file should refresh, like every 30 seconds.
This is working perfectly in Google Earth. But itโ€™s not working in AppSheet!
@Peter Could this be enabled in AppSheet?

Here is a Demo Video

9 7 2,854
7 REPLIES 7

Thank you for passing on your learnings~!

Yes, this is great! Iโ€™ve tested network KMLs and found the same issue. This would definitely be a useful update for when the team is able to revisit the KML functionality and maps in general - Iโ€™ll make sure it gets back for consideration.

Hi Peter,
Regarding the use of KML files and the impossibility of getting their most updated version (Appsheet does not refresh its copy even when the KML file is updated). Unfortunately, this makes it impossible to use โ€œliveโ€ KMLs on AS. One very important, and I believe not so difficult solution to implement, would be to have a formula field in the โ€œOptional Url for KML Fileโ€ option in the column type details (instead of just a โ€œhardcodeโ€ field). Doing that, weโ€™ll be able to dynamically change the KML file name using a formula, and get its updated versions. PLEASE

Yes @Paulo_Negrao I agree. Having the ability to use an expression would open up a new KML world

Hi @Peter I saw, that after a day, the KML will be updated automatically, when using a Network Link.

Thanks, This video help me to solve my problem in a milk run that my drivers have to follow.

Perfect!!! thanks 

Top Labels in this Space