Layout for Scheduling

I am assessing whether AppSheet will suit our business needs and need to know if it is possible to build a form/display of some sort that will facilitate scheduling.

Ideally Iโ€™d like to have the names of current staff going down the left of the page, the days of the week across the top and the cells filled with the jobs theyโ€™ve been assigned to. I think the easiest structure is to have a Jobs table, a Workers table and the data table. The data table contains the WorkerId, Job Id, Date Assigned and associated details. Iโ€™d like to be able to click on a Job or Job slot to select a Job to fill that slot.

Most of our jobs are full day jobs but some are part day jobs so eventually I need to expand the structure to incorporate that but before I embark on the learning curve to master Appsheet Iโ€™d like to know if this is going to be realistically possible and if so is my proposed structure right.

0 6 957
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, do you need to maintain just this weekโ€™s data or does that table view needs to show weeks in a future as well? Meaning are you working just with the one week?

Hi Aleksi,

I need to be able to look at a week at a time so we can plan the week. A rolling 7 days would be ideal but thatโ€™s probably asking way too much. Open to ideas.

Iโ€™m thinking a table view with a quick editable columns. Then it would be almost the same than working directly with the spreadsheet. Not exactly, but close.

Thanks Aleski.

That would mean structuring the data a different way and not accomplishing other functions I need. I was hoping you may have come across this need before and found a solution. I will see if I can find another way around it. Appreciate your help

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

This might be possible, using virtual columns.

In the Workers table, I imagine adding a virtual column for today, tomorrow, day after tomorrow, day after that, โ€ฆ, up to the end of the span you want to display. The App formula for the virtual column would compute the value for each worker for each day. You could then use a slice to cherry pick the columns of the Workers table you want to display in this schedule view.

Iโ€™ve not tested this, but on the surface it seems pretty straight-forward.

Thanks Steve. Aleksi has also provided me with an example of how it would work - similar concept to yours. Now that I have an idea of how to make it work, I am now working on completing my tables and forms to enter the jobs and will work on the scheduler when thatโ€™s completed. I was uncertain if AppSheet could handle it but it seems like I will be able to get something that will do the job so I am proceeding with the development

Thanks again for your input

Top Labels in this Space