Limiting number to certain amount of digits

I deal with SKUs that are 7 digits long. the first 6 digits represent the Master SKU and the 7th digit represents a variation of the Master SKU. In my table, sometimes the SKU comes in as 6 digits and sometimes at 7. I would like to create an expression that will delete the last digit of the SKU, ONLY if the SKU is 7 digits long so that way all SKUs in the column are always 6 digits. How would I go about this?

Solved Solved
0 11 618
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Are you trying to input the expression in the SKU column? That wonโ€™t work. Youโ€™ll have to create a new column to hold the modified value.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

LEFT( [SKU] , 6 ) should work.

Hey @Marc_Dillon, thank you but didnโ€™t seem to work. I should also mention that the SKU column is Ref type which I images is the reason it didnโ€™t work

What was the result if it didnโ€™t work?
Where did you enter the expression?
What is your data structure?
Does the referenced table have different key and label columns?

I put it in as an app formula and the result was that the SKUs remained the same number of digits, either 6 or 7. The referenced table has the same Key column (SKU). The label columns are different from each other whoever and neither are the SKU. The table which I am trying to apply the formula deals with our image database. The SKU metadata for the images are either 6 or 7 digits long. The master SKU table which the image table always has 6 digit SKUS.

Are you trying to input the expression in the SKU column? That wonโ€™t work. Youโ€™ll have to create a new column to hold the modified value.

Okay got ya. Just made a virtual column with the formula and turned that into the ref and it worked. Iโ€™m wondering why a virtual ref type column works with the formula but a non virtual ref type column wouldnโ€™t?

It has nothing to do with real vs virtual.

You canโ€™t modify the value in a column via specifying an app formula, especially one that references itself.
Presumably the SKU column is input by the user. Specifying an app formula is for creation of a value, and doing so prohibits user-entered data in that field.

Okay, this makes sense. Thank you for the help @Marc_Dillon!

Just an ideaโ€ฆ you can change digits with an Event action when the form is saved. Then you can run the formula LEFT([SKU],6) with that action.

This makes sense, but the SKUs arenโ€™t provided by user input, theyโ€™re generated by an SQL query that overwrites the pre existing sheet on a daily basis.

Okayโ€ฆ then it wonโ€™t work in your case.

Top Labels in this Space