Link a field from another table

My non-profit organization owns three retirement centers. We want to build an app that records maintenance performed. I have two tables, MAINTENANCE and RESIDENTS. I have a Last Name field in the MAINTENANCE form set as REF, pointing to the RESIDENTS. The app brings up the RESIDENTS table but the ID field, not the name field.
Does anyone know what Iโ€™m doing wrong or can point me to a specific help location on how to reference a field from another table?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Ken

0 2 239
  • UX
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @kjhaugh ,

It sounds that in the RESIDENTS table you have ID field as both Key and label.

Do you wish to select the residents in the maintanance table through the dropdown field using last name? If so, you may wish to set the last name field in the RESIDENTS table as a label field if that is feasible. The reference field shows the label in the child table ( MAINTENANCE table in your case)

I say feasible because if there are two idential last names, assigning the last name field as label in RESDENTS table will show those two names in reference field dropdown.

Alternatively you may combine first name and last name in the RESIDENTS table and set it as label, reducing the probability of identical names being displayed in the dropdown.

Thank you very much for your help. This is very much appreciated!
Ken

Top Labels in this Space