Linking two tables together to compare LatLong and find the closest person (GeoFencing)

I am wondering how to link two tables together (reference) so i can use LatLong in two scenarios:

1st Scenario:I am looking at Table 1 on a map (contains assets) and i want to know which is the closest driver (Table 2 ) to an asset based on LatLong

2nd Scenario: I am looking at Table 2 on a map (drivers) and i want to know which is the closest asset (Table 1)to a driver based on LatLong

I will need to, if possible, use VC

Solved Solved
0 31 1,631
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Tiger for AppSheet to grab the label instead of the key in that instance, I believe you need to mark it as a Ref column.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Do you have some sample data you should share here?

Yes, sorry.

Here is sample of the Table 2 (drivers):

Here is the sample of Table 1 (assets):

So sorry I ran out of time todayโ€ฆ I was going to see if you had some actual data sheets you could share as opposed to screen shots.

Do you know about the mercator calculation?

https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

I was going to suggest building these in AppSheet but I now realize that appsheet does not appear to have Sin() or Cos() or Radian(). So I think you will need to build these directly in your spreadsheet.

Maybe someone here has a better solution to present, alsoโ€ฆ

Thanks

Bahbus

AppSheet has DISTANCE(โ€ฆ), which should work to calculate the distance between two LatLongs, at least on a basic level. But as for an example of how to accomplish calculating and then finding the smallest between your two tables, I donโ€™t have one at the moment. I will think about it though.

Thank you

To find the 5 closest entries in Table 2 from an entry in Table 1:

TOP(
  ORDERBY(
    FILTER("Table 2", TRUE),
    DISTANCE(
      LATLONG([_THISROW].[Lat], [_THISROW].[Long]),
      LATLONG([Lat], [Long])
    )
  ),
)

Note that this is a very expensive operation and will affect sync times.

Steve - do i put this in Table 1 as a VC?

Thatโ€™s one way to do it, yes.

ok. I am getting an error. Is the error because my name is [Last Latitude] and not [Lat]?

@Tiger

The query @Steve gave was for Table 2 usage. It seems you applied it to Table 1. So, Yes, youโ€™ll need to adjust the column names to match those found in Table 1.

Ok. Thanks i moved it to the correct table - Table 2 [GeoTab].

Now i get this error?

I believe LatLong types are expected to be numeric pairs (number1,number2). In your case you have the parts separated. So i think you just need to change the type of Lat and the type of Long to be Decimal.

Wow. This works. This is a game changer for my company. Thank you guys VERY much. Last question with this. How can i make it show the Name instead of the id/key?

The values are showing the id/key. I have the label on the driver name. Can i make the formula show that instead of the id/key?

You are showing a list of Truck IDโ€™sโ€ฆcorrect? I donโ€™t know of a way to have it automatically use the Label for display inn this instance. You want the IDโ€™s to store in the record.

You have a couple of options:

1. Create a Virtual Column that retrieves the Names for these IDโ€™s and show the VC instead of the actual column.

2. Change โ€œClosest Truckโ€ to show as an Inline Table - a row for each truck. The advantage is that you can show other Truck info along with the name.

So the VC needs to go on which Table:
Table 1 (Assets) or Table 2 (Trucks)

Also, where do i put in this formula to show the new VC i create instead of the id/key?

TOP(
ORDERBY(
FILTER(โ€œGeoTabโ€, TRUE),
DISTANCE(
LATLONG([_THISROW].[Last Latitude], [_THISROW].[Last Longitude]),
LATLONG([Lat], [Long])
)
),
)

@Tiger for AppSheet to grab the label instead of the key in that instance, I believe you need to mark it as a Ref column.

@Bahbus

@Tiger is grabbing the TOP 5 Closet Trucks. How does one get that to work with a Ref Column?

Because it those are IDs for the table. It will work the same as any other โ€œRelatedโ€ generated column as a Ref. And what I meant by Ref, was List/Ref.

@ Tiger It think @Bahbus has your answer. I have not played with List VCโ€™s much. It seems you donโ€™t need a second VC at all. Just go into the VC list you already have and change the Base Type property to โ€œRefโ€.

Your VC for the Names would be on the same table as the list of Truck IDโ€™s. You need the result from [Closest Trucks] to get their names. So keep it as is just donโ€™t show it. Disregard what I said about storing these IDโ€™s.

The expression in this new VC would be something like:

SELECT(Trucks[Name], IN([Truck ID], [Closest Trucks]))

This will get you a list of the Names for display.

Ok, so a couple of things. If you are going to store the individual Latitudes and Longitudes, then those columns should be in a decimal format. And for your LatLong column your formula should be just LATLONG([LAT], [LONG]).

Thanks Steve. I will try this out.

ok. But do i do this in Table 1 or 2? Sorry i wanted to get clarification.

Also, do I use?
SELECT(Trucks[Name], IN([Truck ID], [Closest Trucks]))

No, forget everything I said about a second VC. It seems you donโ€™t need it.

Which table is the โ€œClosest Truckโ€ VC defined in?

Well. To be honest i never put a VC together. I still have the expression Steve gave me. Works - just still donโ€™t show the truck driver names, instead of the id/key.

Your ask was to change the IDโ€™s in this pic below to show the Names. Is this not real data?

2X_c_cbc0dbefec81ee561513cf3a395ee8daa20734da.png

Below, Is this the column that shows that List of Truck IDโ€™s?

it is real - but it is the id/key. I want the label [Driver] to show:

Yes. Go into that column definition for Closest Asset. Change it from Text to EnumList. You will then be presented below that a property named โ€œBase Typeโ€. Set that to Ref. I think that will get you what you want.

This worked PERFECTLY. I still am not sure how, but it does. I went ahead and did this both ways. Meaning - Table 1 does the same thing. So my users can see:

Closest truck - if looking at the asset
Closest asset - if looking at the truck

Thanks guys!

When you specify a column as โ€œRefโ€ AND the value set is the key value, AppSheet will automatically use the Label value for display.

If this is a โ€œnormalโ€ column - the key is stored in the data BUT the label is used for display.

As you and I both just found out, if this is an EnumList with Base Type set as โ€œRefโ€, then the entire list will use the label for display.

Top Labels in this Space