List of dates as a type

HCF

A list of dates that may be used to feed the calendar. This is particularly usefull when you want to make a range of dates in a calendar, but don’t know some part of the date. Then, this listdates type, may be build with dates from an expression like for birthdays, recurring events etc.

Status Open
1 13 893
13 Comments
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Couldn’t you just EnumList with a base type Date?

HCF

@MultiTech_Visions - The Calendar does only accept Date types, not an EnumList?

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Your expression could be simplied using:

(TEXT([BirthDate], "M/D/") & YEAR(TODAY()))

See also:

HCF

Thanks, good hint, but the expression is still not the right type. Expected date.

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

I think I see what’s going on. You want to see only those elements in a calendar view, yes?

You should be able to set the inline view for the table of those records as calendar - and I think it will show inline. maybe not, there’s been lots of changes with calendar views.

HCF

@MultiTech_Visions - actually I am making a calendar for birthdays, so to show birthdays for each contact in a calendar. So several birthdays will be shown, but since the calendar does not have any properties (like year), I try to feed it with several dates for each contact so that if I scroll back or forward in the calendar. Then I can see birthdays in the future as well.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

Enclose the expression that @Steve had already proposed with DATE():
DATE(TEXT([BirthDate], "M/D/") & YEAR(TODAY()))

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Hmmm…Well… if we go back to first principles with AppSheet - we need some kind of digital element to represent whatever we want to see. A record, a column, a slice, table, X marks the spot.

So in order to show something inside the calendar Y number of times, you’ll need Y number of things.

If this was a request from a client of mine, I would try and get them to concede some ground on this request:

• instead of showing it for EVERY year, how about for the next 5 years, 10 years; something like that.

Then I could hack in a virtual column for each year that needed a date - this way there’s something to be shown.

Might take some finicking to get these disparate dates to play together - but it could be done I suppose.

Might be even easier to just implement an actual Gcal integration - that way you can just set the calendar entry to reappear each year.

HCF

@LeventK - I have tried this already, but it does not return a type date that is requested. Thus, my request for an extra data type that can take several dates.

HCF

@MultiTech_Visions - the calendar view does only take one date field. You can supply two, but then you have a duration between the two dates supllied.

LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

@HCF
Why do you think Calendar should accept ENUMLIST? Can you show or point out to any application which accepts multiple or comma seperated list of dates into a Date field? And what’s the usecase?

If you need your use to enter multiple date, you can use an ENUMLIST with Date type already in a normal form UX (not calendar) and process the column values with EXTRACTDATES()

HCF

@LeventK - my initial thought was “This is particularly usefull when you want to make a range of dates in a calendar, but don’t know some part of the date. Then, this listdates type, may be build with dates from an expression like for birthdays, recurring events etc.”
The usage is when the user inputs something that should be repeated.
Not sure if it’s a new datatype or a change in the calendar to also handle enumlist that is needed.
Another way around would be to release some calendar properties like year, month, week etc.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager